Exploring the Mystery of Cosmic Void Between Galaxies

In summary: There is a theory that suggests that the expansion of the universe is actually pulling matter from smaller universes into our own, but that theory is still being tested.
Mohd Abdullah
Hey guys,

Regarding the cosmic void between galaxies, is it really empty? If you read articles from pop science sources mostly said "cosmic voids are devoid of matter", "there are full of dark matter", etc.

Thoughts?

Space news on Phys.org
Mohd Abdullah said:
Hey guys,

Regarding the cosmic void between galaxies, is it really empty? If you read articles from pop science sources mostly said "cosmic voids are devoid of matter", "there are full of dark matter", etc.

Thoughts?
Well, "empty" gets to be a bit more complicated than you might think, as witnessed by the many hundreds of threads on this forum discussing just that.

Basically it is "empty" by human standards but not really. First and foremost there is a huge amount of radiation passing through it plus neutrinos and the odd dust particle here and there.

EDIT: also, NEVER take pop-science seriously.

Cosmic voids are not completely empty, they just contain a much lower density of matter and dark matter than other areas of the universe (such as around galaxy clusters).

Well I am just going to be happy I don't care. :-).

But seriously while we are on this topic, strictly in technical term, the void doesn't mean cosmic dust, radiation, or dark matter or anything like that. There are supposed to be this Higgs field and who knows what else that we have not discovered. I mean how does gravity wave travel? If indeed gravity waves have been detected, this empty space at least will have some type of gravity field or whatever that is.

SleepDeprived said:
Well I am just going to be happy I don't care. :-).

But seriously while we are on this topic, strictly in technical term, the void doesn't mean cosmic dust, radiation, or dark matter or anything like that. There are supposed to be this Higgs field and who knows what else that we have not discovered. I mean how does gravity wave travel? If indeed gravity waves have been detected, this empty space at least will have some type of gravity field or whatever that is.

Void in this context simply means that the density of matter and dark matter across a very wide area of space is much lower than average. Remember, context matters! :wink:

What about the space being created all the time between galaxies. Does that space have any atoms in it?

lifeonmercury said:
What about the space being created all the time between galaxies. Does that space have any atoms in it?

Space is not being "created". The distance between unbound objects is simply increasing over time. (that's a subtle but important distinction)
Also, no, expansion does not create new matter.

1. What is a cosmic void?

A cosmic void is a large, empty region of space that contains very few or no galaxies. These voids can range in size from tens of millions of light years to hundreds of millions of light years.

2. How are cosmic voids formed?

Cosmic voids are formed due to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, matter is pulled apart, creating these empty regions. The gravitational pull of surrounding matter also contributes to the formation of voids.

3. What is the significance of studying cosmic voids?

Studying cosmic voids can provide insight into the structure and evolution of the universe. By understanding how these voids form and evolve, we can gain a better understanding of the overall structure and composition of the universe.

4. What types of research are being conducted on cosmic voids?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study cosmic voids, including observations from telescopes and computer simulations. They also study the distribution of matter within voids to better understand how they form and evolve.

5. Could there be any potential implications of cosmic voids for the future of the universe?

It is possible that the expansion of cosmic voids could lead to a future state where the universe is completely empty. However, this is a long-term process and is not expected to happen for billions of years. Additionally, the formation of new galaxies within voids could counteract this expansion, leading to a more complex and varied future for the universe.