Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic Web Discovered ?

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    Missing Matter Of Universe Found; Cosmic Web Discovered.
    ... I read this article and I have a few questions for the experts.

Wouldn't this change the 4-6% atoms, 25-28% DM, 70x% DE model of cosmology? .. or are the some how including the "web" matter in this? If it does in fact change the "accepted" breakdown of the universe, wouldn't this be a huge find?

I know in the article it states this is not to be confused with dark matter, but wouldn't this "web" then also extend though out the internal structure of a given galaxy? .. and play a part in the additional gravity that galaxies need? .. or maybe I'm just confused ..

.. or will this be refuted in a few weeks / months..?

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2

Wallace

Science Advisor

hmm the article seems to confuse so very different concepts, it's hard to see the science behind the pop sci? Anyone know the journal article this is based on?

Edit: Okay found it, here is the eprint. After a quick skim I can answer the OP, what this work is aimed at doing is finding the missing baryons, which are still part of the standard ~4% but aren't easily seen. That is to say, much of the 4% of baryons is difficult to see, due to the form it is in, in addition to the vast amounts of invisible dark matter. Short answer then is that this result supports the standard energy budget breakup rather than changing it.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. May 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up Wallace.. your expertise is appreciated. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?