Solving Einstein's Equation with Cosmological Constant

• Thread starter Sissy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem related to the cosmological constant term in Einstein's equation. The goal is to show that, in empty space, the equation reduces to R_{ij}+\Lambda g_{ij} = 0 and use this to derive the spherically symmetric Schwarzschild solution. The conversation includes equations, metrics, and a question about contracting the field equations.
Sissy
Hello,

I don't understand how to solve this problem. I do not want a solution because I will calculate it by my own but I need some hints how to start.

I don't know what to do :frown: Here is the exercise:

Show that, if the cosmical constant term is retained in Einstein's equation, it reduces in empty space to [tex]R_{ij}+\Lambda g_{ij} = 0[/tex]. Deduce that the spherically symmetric Schwarzschild solution (cf. equation (52.9)) is given by

[tex]b = 1- \dfrac{2m}{r} - \dfrac{1}{3} \Lambda r^2[/tex]

Using the approximate equation (48.17), show that this implies the existence of an additional force of repulsion from the centre proportional to the radius r.

With

Equation (52.9) [tex] b = e^\beta = 1- \dfrac{2m}{r} [/tex]

Equation (48.17) [tex] g_{44} = 1 + \dfrac{2U}{c^2} [/tex]

[tex]U[/tex] is probably the Newtonian potential function.

I have no idea how to start.

Thank you for giving me some hints.

greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you derived the Schwarzschild solution? Contract the field equations with the metric with upper indices to give you conditions on the Ricci scalar. Then the derivation should follow in the same manner.

In lecture we derived the Schwarzschild metric

[tex] \mathrm{d} s^2 = \dfrac{\mathrm{d} r^2}{1 - (2m/r)} + r^2 ( \mathrm{d} \Theta ^2 + sin^2 \Theta \mathrm{d} \Phi^2 ) -c^2 \left( 1 - \dfrac{2m}{r} \right) \mathrm{d} t^2 [/tex]

and we derived

[tex] b = 1 - \dfrac{2GM}{c^2 r} [/tex]

and called [tex]r_s = \dfrac{2GM}{c^2}[/tex] the Schwarzschild radius.

For the Einstein field equation we had

[tex] R_{ij} - \dfrac{1}{2} g_{ij} R = - \kappa T_{ij} [/tex]

Because the space is empty in this exercise, the energy-momentum tensor vanish and I got the equation

[tex] R_{ij} - \dfrac{1}{2} g_{ij} R = 0 [/tex]

From the Schwarzschild metric I got the metric tensor

[tex]g_{ij} = \begin{pmatrix}
\dfrac{1}{1- (2m/r)} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & r^2 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & r^2 ~ sin^2 \Theta & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -c^2 + \frac{c^2 2m}{r}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

And what shoul I contract now?

Thank you for helping me

Greetings

Sorry, I made a mistake:

The field equation for empty space with cosmical constant ist

[tex] R_{ij} - \dfrac{1}{2} R g_{ij} + \Lambda g_{ij} = 0 [/tex]

And the exercise said, that [tex]R_{ij} + \Lambda g_{ij} = 0 [/tex]

So this means, that [tex]\dfrac{1}{2} R g_{ij}[/tex] is [tex]0[/tex]

How this becomes zo zero?

Is my metric tensor correct?

Thanks for help
greetings

Hello,

The first step in solving this problem would be to understand the concept of the cosmological constant and its role in Einstein's equation. The cosmological constant, denoted as Λ, is a term that Einstein added to his equation to account for the observed expansion of the universe. It is a constant value that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. In the absence of any matter or energy, the cosmological constant acts as a repulsive force, causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the spherically symmetric Schwarzschild solution, which describes the gravitational field around a spherical, non-rotating mass. This solution is given by b = 1- \dfrac{2m}{r}, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the center of the object. This solution does not take into account the cosmological constant.

To incorporate the cosmological constant, we need to modify the Schwarzschild solution to include the term Λr^2. This results in the equation b = 1- \dfrac{2m}{r} - \dfrac{1}{3} \Lambda r^2. This new equation is the solution to Einstein's equation in empty space, when the cosmological constant is taken into account.

Using this new solution, you can then show that there is an additional force of repulsion from the center, proportional to the radius r. This can be done by using the approximate equation g_{44} = 1 + \dfrac{2U}{c^2}, where U is the Newtonian potential function. This additional force is due to the presence of the cosmological constant and is responsible for the observed accelerating expansion of the universe.

I hope this helps to give you some hints on how to approach this problem. Good luck with your calculations!

What is Einstein's equation with cosmological constant?

Einstein's equation with cosmological constant is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. It is a fundamental equation in the field of general relativity and is used to explain the behavior of objects in the universe, from the motion of planets to the expansion of the universe.

Why is solving Einstein's equation with cosmological constant important?

Solving Einstein's equation with cosmological constant is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental laws of the universe and make predictions about its behavior. It also helps us to better understand the origins of the universe and the forces that govern its evolution.

What does the "cosmological constant" represent in Einstein's equation?

The cosmological constant, denoted by the Greek letter lambda (Λ), represents the energy density of empty space in the universe. It is a constant term added to Einstein's equation to account for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

How is Einstein's equation with cosmological constant solved?

Einstein's equation with cosmological constant is a set of highly complex nonlinear partial differential equations. It can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as numerical simulations and approximations. However, exact solutions to the equation are rare and are only possible in simplified scenarios.

What are some implications of solving Einstein's equation with cosmological constant?

By solving Einstein's equation with cosmological constant, we can gain a better understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe. It also allows us to make predictions about the fate of the universe and its potential to support life. Additionally, it has implications for other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and the search for a theory of everything.