Start Learning Cosmological Math Today

In summary, the conversation is about someone's interest in understanding equations used in cosmology and their lack of mathematical background. Recommendations for books to learn more about cosmology are also given, with some focusing on the mathematical aspect and others providing a more general overview. There is also a discussion about the usefulness of a basic understanding of General Relativity in studying cosmology.
narrator
Hi all..

As my appetite grows, so does the knowledge of my lack of knowledge.. lol

30 years ago as an engineering student I picked up calculus quicker than I did the more simpler math. I think that has to do with it being far more interesting. Mind you, with a side-step in career, I haven't used it in a long time.

Is there like an idiot's guide to getting started in understanding equations used in cosmology? I've read quite a few here and while some of it makes sense, a lot doesn't, like when using a' and a" etc. A list of conventions for variables would also be helpful. And I gather an understanding of the history attached to some equations goes a long way to understanding why they work - a big ask?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Just a quick question: do you happen to know any General Relativity or differential geometry (because much of general cosmology is explained through the framework of GR)? If I am reading your post correctly then things like a' and a'' refer to derivatives of the scale factor from the Robertson - Walker metric (one successful way of modeling the universe) which is again part of GR. I think the starting point really depends on how much of a mathematical understanding you want of general cosmology.

WannabeNewton said:
Just a quick question: do you happen to know any General Relativity or differential geometry (because much of general cosmology is explained through the framework of GR)? If I am reading your post correctly then things like a' and a'' refer to derivatives of the scale factor from the Robertson - Walker metric (one successful way of modeling the universe) which is again part of GR. I think the starting point really depends on how much of a mathematical understanding you want of general cosmology.

My understanding of GR comes from documentaries and a little further reading, all of which I soak up like a sponge. As for "differential" geometry, I can only guess at the term from my rusty understanding of general calculus and how that may apply to spacetime geometry, as well as perhaps the referencing of objects, vectors and motion from different viewpoints - assumptions I guess.

As for how much I want.. hehe.. if I had my time over, I'd have done cosmology straight from high school. For now though, I'd like to gain some perspective on the math and then go from there. I quickly understand principles when they're explained, but fall behind in understanding how the mathematics proves them. It's like knowing that water is wet but never being able to feel that wetness.

Learning GR is great and if you intend to learn cosmology with moderate degree of seriousness, then I would also recommend just picking up a book like Hartle's Gravity, which has a few nice chapters about cosmology within the context of GR.

If you're more interested in an astronomical overview of cosmology, and willing to take the GR a bit on faith, then perhaps a book like Ryden's Introduction to Cosmology would be better (prerequisites only calculus) [Also, I don't know if there are better books out there for this approach to cosmology, this is just the one I used for a class and I liked it]. Ryden goes through a lot of effects like big bang nucleosynthesis, inflation, formation of the CMB, which won't be covered in GR. That said often times I feel like the book is dealing with advanced subjects without thoroughly developing the background for them (for example, using the FRW metric by just saying "this is what it is"). It can be annoying, having to often just take things on faith, though.

Thanks Nabeshin.. those are both the kind of reading I'd like.

I might start with Hartle's Gravity.. sounds like a good intro.

narrator said:
Thanks Nabeshin.. those are both the kind of reading I'd like.

I might start with Hartle's Gravity.. sounds like a good intro.

A nice thin book which is also quite readable in Andrew Liddle's "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology"

yenchin said:
A nice thin book which is also quite readable in Andrew Liddle's "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology"

Cool.. I'll look that one up too.. Thanks!

yenchin said:
I second this. This is an excellent and very readable book on Cosmology which presents calculations based on the Friedmann equation but does not require a knowledge of GR. After you learn this book, learning GR will be for meaningful.

edgepflow said:
I second this. This is an excellent and very readable book on Cosmology which presents calculations based on the Friedmann equation but does not require a knowledge of GR. After you learn this book, learning GR will be for meaningful.

Thanks edge.. first on my shopping list :)

1. What is cosmological math?

Cosmological math is a branch of mathematics that is used to study the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. It involves the use of mathematical models and equations to understand the formation of galaxies, the expansion of the universe, and other cosmological phenomena.

2. Why is it important to learn cosmological math?

As our understanding of the universe continues to grow, cosmological math becomes increasingly important in helping us make sense of the vast and complex concepts within cosmology. It allows us to make predictions, test theories, and deepen our understanding of the universe.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to learn cosmological math?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is certainly helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced math concepts to begin learning cosmological math. Many introductory courses assume only a basic understanding of algebra and calculus.

4. What are some practical applications of cosmological math?

Cosmological math has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of celestial bodies, understanding the origins of the universe, and developing technologies such as telescopes and satellites. It also has implications for fields such as astrophysics, astronomy, and cosmology.

5. Where can I learn cosmological math?

There are many resources available for learning cosmological math, including online courses, textbooks, and workshops. Universities and research institutions also offer courses and programs focused on cosmology and its mathematical foundations. Additionally, there are many online communities and forums where individuals can connect with experts and fellow learners to discuss and learn about cosmological math.