Cosmological Redshift: Why Does k Remain the Same?

In summary, when considering a photon in an expanding cosmos, the wavelength increases and the frequency decreases in proportion to the scale factor of the universe, resulting in a cosmic redshift. While it is commonly believed that the wavenumber k remains unchanged, this may not be true for non-vacuum scenarios.
karlzr
condidering a photon in expanding cosmos, it 's said that the wavenumber k remains unchanged, the wavelength \lambda increases, proportional to the scale factor a(t) of the universe, and the frequency w decreases in the opposite way, that is the cosmic redshift.

so, why does k remain the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, karlzr -- By the way, to make Greek letters show up, you have to surround them in itex tags. To see how to do that, click on the Quote button for this post, and look at how I did this one: [itex]\lambda[/itex].

I don't think it's true that k stays the same. The four-vector [itex](f,k)[/itex] is a lightlike vector for a light wave, so f=k (in units where c=1). Since f experiences a cosmological red-shift, k must go down as well. Also, as far as I know k is simply defined as [itex]1/\lambda[/itex], so [itex]1/\lambda[/itex] can't vary independently of k.

Conceivably the answer could be different if you weren't talking about propagation in vacuum, since the k and f are related by the phase velocity, which doesn't have to equal c. So then I could imagine that it would be possible to have f and k not related in the usual way, although I think you'd still have [itex]k=1/\lambda[/itex] as a matter of definition.

1. What is cosmological redshift?

Cosmological redshift is the phenomenon where light from distant objects in the universe appears to have longer wavelengths, making them appear more red. This is due to the expansion of the universe, causing space to stretch and the light to be stretched along with it.

2. How does cosmological redshift affect the measurement of distances in the universe?

Cosmological redshift causes the light from distant objects to appear more red, which means the wavelengths have been stretched. This stretching causes the light to have a lower frequency, which affects the measurement of distances because it makes objects appear farther away than they actually are.

3. Why does k remain the same in cosmological redshift?

The letter k in cosmological redshift refers to the scale factor, which is a measure of how much the universe has expanded since a certain time. The scale factor remains the same in cosmological redshift because the expansion of the universe is uniform and affects all objects equally.

4. How is cosmological redshift different from Doppler redshift?

While both cosmological redshift and Doppler redshift involve a shift in the wavelengths of light, they are caused by different mechanisms. Cosmological redshift is caused by the expansion of the universe, while Doppler redshift is caused by the relative motion of an object towards or away from an observer.

5. Can cosmological redshift be used to measure the age of the universe?

Yes, cosmological redshift can be used to estimate the age of the universe. By measuring the amount of redshift in the light from distant galaxies, scientists can calculate the expansion rate of the universe and use it to estimate the age of the universe. However, this method is not precise and is often combined with other methods to get a more accurate measurement.