1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmologist or astrophysisist

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    Hello. im looking to be some kind of cosmologist or astrophysisist when im older. My GCSE choices have to be handed in next week, ad i wasnt to make sure im not going to choose the wrong things.
    SO please if anyone knows, what would i need to take to become cosmologist or astrophysisist?
    By the way im defenatly taking tripple science.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    Do you want to be a cosmologist or a astrologist? in other words, do you want to study the whole universe or the stars and planets within it?

For both you have to go to university
  4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    the whole topic facinates me, the by far is the job i want to do. i was planning to go to universtiy.

SO do you know what subjects for GCSE would be helpfull, i say usfull, becaus employers look for a-levels and degrees rather than gcse's.
  5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    try to take as much mathematical and scientific subjects as possible (mathematics, physics, chemistry).
    Latin is, arguably, also good for fostering logical thinking.

But in general, you can't do much wrong if you take mathematical and scientic subjects. But you should also include languages (if you like learning some) or other subjects to balance your studies.
  6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    ohh ok, well i'm doing Maths, because im in top set im also doing maths statistics. Then im also choosing to do biology, physics, and chemistry.
    Other than that, im doing history and religiouse education.

(im also doing the rest of the compulsary things thow!)

Does this seem ok?

also ive got one more question.... what is the exact difference between a cosmologists and a astrophysisists job?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  7. Feb 24, 2008 #6
    yeah, its ok, but its just the GCSE, you need to pay more attention when selection your A-Levels

Cosmology is more about the universe in general, i.e. solutions of Einstein's Field Equation (General Relativity), different phases of the universe (Big Bang to now), etc.

Astro-physics is more about stars and planets (what they are made of, how they are made, how fusion works, etc.)

but relax, you have more than enough time left (and you do need a high amount of sophisticated mathematics to study those fields, normally gained at university). In the mean time, you can join an Astronomy club, visit observatories or just read books.
  8. Feb 24, 2008 #7
    Thankyou beta3
    For cosmology and astrophysics, they're bot very similar, yet both very different...its so similar in one way its hard to think what is best. Is Cosmology a broader range of topics? I'm sat here thinking which is better for me, untill i go on to higher education, i cant really tell what i want to do, or rather what is more interesting.
    if theres an astronomy club near by or at school, then i will join. unfortunatly there are no observatory near where i live, but im reading the beginers guide to the cosmos, it may be an adult book, but its interesting.
    Mabey i should invest in a good telescope!
  9. Feb 24, 2008 #8
    this is another pretty stupid question... what is the diffefence between astro-physics and astromomey. I only ask because i typed astrophysics in on google, and it mainly came up with things about astronomy. or are they the same?+
  10. Feb 25, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's my take on it.

Cosmology is the study of the universe and its evolution.

Astronomy is the study of the "things in" the universe.

Astrophysics is the study of the physical processes that take place between the "things in" the universe.

Nowadays, I would say that the term astronomy really means obtaining data about the things in the universe, and astrophysics is more theoretical and based around modelling stellar structures or star/planet systems, etc..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?