1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology books

1. May 7, 2004 #1

hellfire

Science Advisor

I am searching for a complete and extensive reference (or a reference set) about cosmology. It should be up to date and, if possible, with not too much formulas without proofs. It seams there are two classical books:

Principles of Physical Cosmology, Peebles.
    Cosmological Physics, Peacock.

But the review comments in amazon are not very enthusiastic. Does anyone know these or other books?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2004 #2
    I've used both Peacock and Peebles. While Cosmological Physics is a good book on Cosmology, the sections on GR and QFT aren't all that great and you'd be best to look elsewhere. They have a serious 'skimmed over' feel to them. I'd say Peebles is the stronger of the two.

I've heard good things about volume 3 of Padnamabhan's 'Theoretical Astrophysics', but not personally got around to reading it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?