1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology: estimating the redshift of the photon gas at matter-radiation equality

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is translated from a different language, so I hope I am not missing anything.
    I need to estimate the redshift of the photon gas in the universe, at the time of transition from radiation to matter domination.
    Cosmological parameters:
    [tex] k=0 [/tex] (meaning a flat universe)
    [tex] \Omega_\Lambda=0.7 [/tex]
    [tex] H_0=71\frac{km}{s\cdot{Mpc}} [/tex]
    also it is mentioned that [tex]\rho_{matter} \propto R^{-3} ~,~ \rho_{radiation} \propto R^{-4}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Friedmann equation:
    [tex]H^2=\left(\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\right)^2 = \frac{8}{3}\pi G\rho - \frac{kc^2}{R^2} + \frac{\Lambda}{3}[/tex]
    redshift in terms of universe scale factor
    and also the definition of the omegas:
    [tex]\Omega_m=\frac{\rho}{\frac{8}{3} \pi GH^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not completely sure that this is the right approach, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. Basically what I am trying to do is find the scale factor R(t) in terms of R0 and t0, and just plug it into the redshift equation. In a flat universe (k=0) [tex]\Omega_m + \Omega_\Lambda = 1 [/tex] (which is derived easily using the friedmann equation), so [tex]\Omega_m=0.3[/tex]

This gives me [tex]H=\frac{\dot{R}}{R}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\rho[/tex].
    but this is where i get confused. If I knew the proportionality relation between [tex]\rho (t)[/tex] and [tex]R(t)[/tex] then I could have solved the differential equation and find R..
    [tex]\rho=\rho_{matter} + \rho_{radiation}[/tex], so if either matter or radiation density were dominant, I would use the dominant parameter, but the solution is for a time where they are equal... and if i try to equate them and find the total density that way, I get very awkward results... I am pretty sure that this is wrong and that I am lacking some basic understanding... I really hope someone can help me out here.

One more thing that really confuses me, is if I try to find R(t) using [tex]\Omega_\Lambda[/tex].
    This gives me a differential equation for R, which I can solve
    [tex]R(t)=R_0 e^{\sqrt{\frac{\Lambda}{3\Omega_\Lambda}}(t-t_0)}[/tex]

I guess t0 I can find using the hubble constant [tex]t_0=H_0^{-1}[/tex]
    but this doesn't make sense.. why is the proportional relation between the densities and the scale factor is given if not used... and of course matter-radiation equality is not taken into consideration ..
    Very confused :uhh:
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted