Cosmology: Hubble's law and Redshift

In summary, the conversation discusses the Doppler effect and its application in calculating the fractional change in wavelength for objects moving away or towards us. This is represented by the variable z, which is defined as the ratio of the velocity to the speed of light minus one. Special relativity and the assumption of small velocities are used to derive this expression.
AHSAN MUJTABA
Homework Statement
For small z (z<<<1), the expansion of the universe can be thought of as a set of galaxies
moving apart. Therefore, the redshift (which is due to the expansion of spacetime itself)
can be interpreted as a Doppler shift arising from relative motion. Starting from the
definition of z, show that in this limit,
z=c
Relevant Equations
The equations that I intend to use are:
z=##(\lambda_o - \lambda_e)/\lambda_e##
I tried to attempt this by taking z=dv/c but I saw that relation Liddle's book on Cosmology and I really don't know where this came from.
Secondly, I will need some series ( maybe Bionomial) in terms of z from which I can show small z.
I think it's simple but here it's not clicking to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help me?A:This is the Doppler effect. The idea is that as an object moves away from you, the wavelength of light you observe is stretched compared to the wavelength of light emitted by the object. This is why galaxies that are moving away from us appear redder than they would if they were at rest with respect to us. If we know the velocity of the galaxy relative to us, we can calculate the fractional change in wavelength, $\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0}$, where $\lambda_0$ is the rest wavelength that we would observe from the galaxy if it were at rest with respect to us.Using special relativity and assuming the velocity is small compared to the speed of light, we can show that$$ \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0} = \frac{v}{c} $$where $v$ is the velocity of the galaxy relative to us and $c$ is the speed of light. This expression is valid for both recession (moving away from us) and blueshift (moving towards us).Z is just a convenient way of expressing this fractional change. It is defined as$$ z \equiv \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0} - 1 $$so that$$ z = \frac{v}{c} - 1 $$

1. What is Hubble's law?

Hubble's law is a fundamental principle in cosmology that states that the further away a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away from us. This is based on the observation that the light from distant galaxies is shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum, known as redshift.

2. How does Hubble's law support the Big Bang theory?

Hubble's law provides evidence for the expansion of the universe, which is a key component of the Big Bang theory. The redshift observed in distant galaxies indicates that the universe is expanding and that the galaxies are moving away from each other.

3. What is redshift and how is it related to Hubble's law?

Redshift is the phenomenon in which the wavelength of light from an object appears longer (shifted towards the red end of the spectrum) due to the object moving away from the observer. In the context of Hubble's law, redshift is used to measure the rate at which galaxies are moving away from us, providing evidence for the expansion of the universe.

4. Can Hubble's law be applied to all galaxies?

Hubble's law is most accurate when applied to galaxies that are relatively close to us, as the redshift of distant galaxies can be affected by factors such as gravitational interactions with other galaxies. However, on a larger scale, Hubble's law still holds true and provides evidence for the expanding universe.

5. What is the Hubble constant and how is it calculated?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is calculated by dividing the speed of a galaxy's recession (determined through redshift) by its distance from us. However, the precise value of the Hubble constant is still a topic of debate among scientists.