1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology Problem

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the sun weighs ##2 \times 10^{30} kg##, calculate the maximum possible number density of stars in the present universe, if all the baryons in the universe were assembled into solar mass stars, and ##\Omega_b = 0.05## today.

2. Relevant equations

##n=\frac{N}{(4/3) \pi R^3}##

##\Omega = \frac{\rho_{matter}}{\rho_{critical}}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the number density of stars is given by the number of stars / volume. But how do we calculate N, the number of stars?

And what are the densities ρ and ρcrit? From that I can work out the volume using ρ=m/V.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

##\rho_{critical}## is just something you will need to look up. It is an experimental observation for our universe.

4. Oct 19, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I see. If I use the experimental Hubble's constant of 70 km/s/Mpc

##H_0=\frac{70}{3.08 \times10^{-19}} = 2.269 \times 10^{-18} \ s^{-2}##

So the present critical density of the universe is:

##\rho_{crit}= \frac{3H^2}{8 \pi G} = 8.9 \times 10^{-27} kgm^{-3}##

Thus the volume is V=m/ρcrit=2.247x1056.

But how do I find the number of stars N for this problem? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  5. Oct 19, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They aren't asking you for the number of stars, they are asking you for the number density of stars. I.e. n=(number of stars)/volume. The ρ is (mass of stars)/volume and that's what you get from the baryon density (which you get from ρcrit). Doesn't it make sense that the two are related by n*(mass of each star)=ρ?

6. Oct 19, 2013 #5
    Thank you for your input. So if I understood correctly

##\rho = \rho_{crit} \Omega_b = (8.9 \times 10^{-27}) \times 0.05 = 4.45 \times 10^{-28} \ kgm^{-3}##

##\therefore \ n= \frac{\rho}{m} = \frac{4.45 \times 10^{-28}}{2\times 10^{30}} = 2.225 \times 10^{-58} \ m^{-3}##

Is this then the correct number density of stars in the present universe?

7. Oct 19, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks right. As you might expect, the number of stars per m^3 is meaninglessly small. The number might have a little more intuitive cosmological meaning if you express it as stars/pc^3 or stars/Mpc^3, for example. A meter is not a good scale for grasping cosmological quantities.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. Oct 20, 2013 #7
    I see, thank you very much for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted