1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology: Proper distances

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

When looking at a graph that shows the proper distance at the time of emission as a function of the redshift z in a model-universe with only matter, the proper distance at time of emission has a maximum at about z ~ 1.7. What does this maximum mean?

I can see that light with a high redshift must come from a source, which was initially close to us, and similarly light with a small redshift also comes from close to us. But again, what about the in-between, i.e. the maximum?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since it's distance at the time of emission, yes, small z comes from sources nearby in distance and time and large z comes from sources that are currently far away, but were close at the time of emission because the universe was so much smaller. I think that's what you are saying. So, sure, then there must be a maximum. I don't think that maximum has any particular significance.

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    Ok, thanks. I didn't suspect it having any meaning, but it's always nice to get a second-opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?