1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology questions

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, but saw that everyone was so kind and helpful, so was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of things..

How does one calculate the age of the universe using Hubble's constant, if the constant is in km/s/Mpc?

Do we know the critical density of the universe? I always thought that experts had a few pretty good estimates, but then someone told me today that this wasn't true..

Does anyone know a thought experiment for length contraction that does not involve a train and a tunnel? For some reaosn this thought experiment always confuses me...I knew one once with a rocket travelling to alpha centauri at 0.8c, but am not sure if this is allowed if it assumes time dilation..

If anyone could help I would be so grateful! I have an exam on all of this tomorrow!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2
    For the age of the universe, I've tried multiplying the constant by 1x10^3, then changing the Mpc into light years..is this correct?

4. Jan 25, 2007 #3
    If H is the Hubble constant, then the age of the universe can be determined as the inverse of the constant, that is 1/H.
    EDIT: But this is ofcourse a very crude estimation.

5. Jan 25, 2007 #4
    The age depends on what model you are using. For example, the age using the Einstein-de Sitter model is given by

[tex]\frac{2}{3}H^{-1}[/tex].

The critical density is also dependent on the choice of model so noone "knows" this density.

6. Jan 25, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hubble constant has the units of 1/sec. An estimate of the age of the universe is given by 1/H. The exact age depends on your exact model of the universes evolution. E.g. assuming it is matter dominated (should be a good approximation) we get 3/(2*H). We know the critical density exactly as well as we know H. They define each other. What we don't know is the real density. A difference between these two would indicate the universe is spatially curved to a significant degree. Current consensus is that it is not.

7. Jan 25, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hubble constant has the units of 1/sec. An estimate of the age of the universe is given by 1/H. The exact age depends on your exact model of the universes evolution. E.g. assuming it is matter dominated (should be a good approximation) we get 3/(2*H). We know the critical density exactly as well as we know H. They define each other. What we don't know is the real density. A difference between these two would indicate the universe is spatially curved to a significant degree. Current consensus is that it is not.

8. Jan 25, 2007 #7
    Thanks for your help so far! My problem is determining the age of the universe from the units I have been given, km/s/Mpc...how does one change these units ino units suitable for the 1/H method?

9. Jan 25, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1 Mpc=3*10^19 km. Put this in and cancel the km.

10. Jan 25, 2007 #9
    Hey thanks!!

11. Jan 29, 2007 #10
    We do not know H exactly, but it is estimated to be around 70 km/s/Mpc with an error of ~10%.

12. Jan 29, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My point was that the uncertainty in H is "exactly the same" as the uncertainty in the critical density. Not that either was measured exactly. Thanks for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?