Cosmology Questions: Answers to Help You Pass Exam

• Thread starter Olivia Grace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the age of the universe can be calculated from the Hubble constant using 1/H. However, the accuracy of this calculation is dependent on the accuracy of the Hubble constant.
Olivia Grace
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but saw that everyone was so kind and helpful, so was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of things..

How does one calculate the age of the universe using Hubble's constant, if the constant is in km/s/Mpc?

Do we know the critical density of the universe? I always thought that experts had a few pretty good estimates, but then someone told me today that this wasn't true..

Does anyone know a thought experiment for length contraction that does not involve a train and a tunnel? For some reaosn this thought experiment always confuses me...I knew one once with a rocket traveling to alpha centauri at 0.8c, but am not sure if this is allowed if it assumes time dilation..

If anyone could help I would be so grateful! I have an exam on all of this tomorrow!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the age of the universe, I've tried multiplying the constant by 1x10^3, then changing the Mpc into light years..is this correct?

If H is the Hubble constant, then the age of the universe can be determined as the inverse of the constant, that is 1/H.
EDIT: But this is ofcourse a very crude estimation.

The age depends on what model you are using. For example, the age using the Einstein-de Sitter model is given by

[tex]\frac{2}{3}H^{-1}[/tex].

The critical density is also dependent on the choice of model so no one "knows" this density.

The Hubble constant has the units of 1/sec. An estimate of the age of the universe is given by 1/H. The exact age depends on your exact model of the universes evolution. E.g. assuming it is matter dominated (should be a good approximation) we get 3/(2*H). We know the critical density exactly as well as we know H. They define each other. What we don't know is the real density. A difference between these two would indicate the universe is spatially curved to a significant degree. Current consensus is that it is not.

The Hubble constant has the units of 1/sec. An estimate of the age of the universe is given by 1/H. The exact age depends on your exact model of the universes evolution. E.g. assuming it is matter dominated (should be a good approximation) we get 3/(2*H). We know the critical density exactly as well as we know H. They define each other. What we don't know is the real density. A difference between these two would indicate the universe is spatially curved to a significant degree. Current consensus is that it is not.

Thanks for your help so far! My problem is determining the age of the universe from the units I have been given, km/s/Mpc...how does one change these units ino units suitable for the 1/H method?

1 Mpc=3*10^19 km. Put this in and cancel the km.

Hey thanks!

Dick said:
We know the critical density exactly as well as we know H. They define each other.

We do not know H exactly, but it is estimated to be around 70 km/s/Mpc with an error of ~10%.

My point was that the uncertainty in H is "exactly the same" as the uncertainty in the critical density. Not that either was measured exactly. Thanks for the clarification.

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

2. What are some key concepts in cosmology?

Some key concepts in cosmology include the Big Bang theory, dark matter, dark energy, and the expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is supported by several lines of evidence, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observed expansion of the universe.

4. What is dark matter and why is it important in cosmology?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and cannot be directly observed. It is important in cosmology because it makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and plays a key role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

5. What is the fate of the universe?

The fate of the universe is currently unknown, but there are three main theories: the Big Crunch, the Big Freeze, and the Big Rip. The most widely accepted theory is the Big Freeze, where the universe continues to expand until all matter is spread out and the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy.