Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Cosmology] Scale Factor Values

1. May 12, 2011 #1
    Hello.

I have been working through some questions and answers to do with cosmology. One of them asks you to consider a model where:

[tex]\Omega_{MO}=3 [/tex]
    [tex]\Omega_{\Lambda O}=0.01 [/tex]
    [tex]\Omega_{RO}=0 [/tex]
    and asks you to show mathematically that the model re-collapses.

Following through the math, I get three values of a: -14.87,1.51 and 13.36.

Clearly the first can be disregarded and unphysical since a cannot be negative, but I can't decide whats the significance between the second two which allows me to isolate the value corresponding to collapse.

Cheers.
    Adam

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2011 #2
    What 'math' are you following through with?

4. May 12, 2011 #3

BillSaltLake

Gold Member

If a is normalized time, then it may have zero diameter 14.87 time units in the past, first collapse 1.51 in the future, and a "recollapse" later. Not sure if that's correct though.

5. May 12, 2011 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the definition of [itex]\Omega_{s0}[/itex] for some species [itex]s[/itex]? What is [itex]\Omega_{\rm total 0}[/itex] in the universe you are studying?

6. May 13, 2011 #5

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Make use of the second Friedmann equation to make sure that when [itex]H(a)[/itex] goes to zero, [itex]dH/da[/itex] is negative.

7. May 13, 2011 #6
    I used the equation for the Hubble Parameter as a function of redshift, then changed this over to be a function of scale factor instead.

[tex]\Omega_{total 0} = 1[/tex]

I don't understand the first bitof the question I'm sorry.

I'm uncertain as to how that determines which of the two remaining parameters is the recollapsing universe?

8. May 13, 2011 #7

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

If the derivative of the Hubble parameter is negative, then it's recollapsing.

9. May 13, 2011 #8

BillSaltLake

Gold Member

Don't you have Ωtotal0 equal to 3.01, instead of unity?

10. May 13, 2011 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use the second derivative test from elementary calculus. [itex]a\left(t\right)[/itex] has a local maximum at [itex]t = t_1[/itex] if [itex]da/dt \left(t_1 \right) = 0[/itex] and [itex]d^2 a/dt^2 \left(t_1 \right) < 0[/itex]. To find [itex]d^2 a/dt^2 [/itex], differentiate the Friedmann equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?