Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology Simulations' softwares

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    I have always read about simulations being done by computer softwares concerning cosmology and astrophysics, do you know if any of the simulations softwares are offered (hopefully, free :approve: ) on the web?

thanks in advance.

p.s
    do these softwares work on assembly environment (machine language)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2
    take a look at computational astrophysics professors webpages, this is a tip i got from one.
    "There's also quite an interesting web
    project called 'The Art of Computational Science' by Piet Hut & Jun
    Makino that has some insight into what programs like STARLAB do"

some are free.
    McMaster has a computational group. But if your american you may want to look at the an american school first.

4. Jul 27, 2005 #3
    thanks!
    (-: (-;

5. Jul 27, 2005 #4
    I am analyzing some time slices from a dark matter simulation done by a group called the Virgo Consortium. I don't know if the code for that is on the web-site but I'm sure at least one simulation code (GADGET) is available through this link

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/NumCos/

unfortunately you need a massivley parallel cluster of computers to run it. :rolleyes:

6. Jul 27, 2005 #5

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Yes, my sense is that the big limitation of cosmology simulations is not so much that the software is profound. It takes some cleverness to turn mathematical equations into computable algorhythms, but not all that much. But, that the amount of processing power necessary to do a good simulation is immense.

7. Jul 27, 2005 #6
    you need a few teraflops of processing power to run a decent simulation- so your going to have to wait until the Playstation 3 comes out!

8. Jul 27, 2005 #7

ohwilleke

Gold Member

9. Jul 28, 2005 #8
    You do need a lot of power to run these cutting edge simulations, but a big thing (at least in dark matter simulations) is the problem of resolution. A smaller simulation with a lower mass per particle may be kind of interesting. I dont know all the ins and outs but I took a class on MPI programming. Its a group of subroutines that can be used with C or Fortran to write parallel code. If you could scrape together 4 gigahertz machines and get them connected and get a PBS (I think thats the acronym) scheduler running on them you could run a decent size simulation in a couple days. I've seen websites about building your own cluster, but I never had the spare computers or time to experiment with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?