Recommended Cosmology Textbooks for Mathematical and Physics Backgrounds

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding recommendations for textbooks on cosmology, specifically for someone with a mathematical and physics background. The books mentioned include "Introduction to Particle Cosmology" by Bambi and Dolgov, Weinberg's Cosmology book, and "Gravity" by James Hartle. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding general relativity and differential geometry in studying cosmology. One suggested textbook, "Gravity" by James Hartle, focuses on relativity and includes chapters on FRW cosmology and inflation.
Carlos L. Janer
I'd really appreciate if someone could recommend me a (some) good textbook(s) about cosmology.

My mathematical background knowledge is:

- Usual stuff.
- Differential geometry: Nash and Sen book. Nakahara book
- Topology (algebraic and differential): Nash and Sen book. Nakahara book.
- Group theory: Costa and Fogli book (Symmetries and Group Theory in Particle Physics).

My physics background knowledge is:

- Usual stuff.
- Nuclear physics: None whatsoever.
- QFT: Ryder book.
- Particle physics: Somewhere in between Griffiths and Halzen and Martin.
- General relativity: Never studied seriously before. I just know the general relativity field equations.

Is "Introduction to Particle Cosmology" by Bambi and Dolgov any good? What about Weinberg Cosmology book? Too hard? Do I need more than one?

I don't really know if this is the right place for this post. If it's not, I apologize in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really like the notes by Barbara Ryden. Liddle has a textbook for which you don't need GR, but I highly recommend you to study that seriously before tackling cosmology.

Likes Carlos L. Janer
Thank you for your advice!

Kolb and Turner, though much dated, is excellent for the basics of the FRW cosmology, BBN, inflation, and perturbations. They don't assume much GR, if any, beyond the field equations.

Likes vanhees71 and Carlos L. Janer
Thanks for your help. I only have one question: How do they work with a FRW metric and not use GR?

Carlos L. Janer said:
Thanks for your help. I only have one question: How do they work with a FRW metric and not use GR?
They assume some knowledge of differential geometry, including the metric, connection coefficients, curvature, and so on. They expect you to know that you can use the metric from differential geometry to describe the geometry of spacetime, and that dynamics follow from using this metric and an energy-momentum tensor in the field equations.

Likes Carlos L. Janer
OK, thank you again!

I would suggest Gravity by James Hartle. Great book, focuses on relativity and has chapters on FRW cosmology

What is the recommended level of mathematical and physics background for these textbooks?

The recommended level of background for these textbooks is typically at least a strong understanding of calculus and classical mechanics. Some may also require knowledge of differential equations and introductory physics concepts.

Are there any textbooks that focus specifically on mathematical aspects of cosmology?

Yes, there are several textbooks that specifically focus on the mathematical aspects of cosmology, such as "Mathematical Cosmology" by J. V. Narlikar and "The Mathematical Theory of Cosmology" by J. A. Peacock.

Are there any textbooks that are more suitable for self-study?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are suitable for self-study, such as "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden and "Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction" by Peter Coles. These textbooks often include exercises and self-assessment questions to aid in self-study.

What are some popular textbooks used in university courses on cosmology?

Some popular textbooks used in university courses on cosmology include "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle, "Cosmology: The Science of the Universe" by Edward Harrison, and "Principles of Physical Cosmology" by P. J. E. Peebles.

Are there any free online resources for learning about cosmology?

Yes, there are several free online resources for learning about cosmology, such as online lectures and tutorials from universities, as well as open access textbooks and articles. Some examples include the MIT OpenCourseWare course "Introduction to Cosmology" and the free online textbook "Theoretical Astrophysics: An Introduction" by T. Padmanabhan.