Cost of Grad School | MIT Info & Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of graduate school, specifically at MIT. It is mentioned that most students receive some kind of support, but it is unclear if it covers all costs. A linked page states that tuition is waived for those who are willing to TA or RA, and the stipend is for living expenses only. The speaker assures the other person that the stipend is enough to live on and that TA duties can be fulfilling for many graduate students.
ehrenfest
Hello,

I have been looking into the cost of graduate school, and I am kind of confused about how much it costs. For example, on the MIT grad school website they say that most of their graduate school students get some kind of external or internal support, but they never really say whether that covers all of the cost or just some of it.

On this page
http://web.mit.edu/physics/graduate/applicants/fundinginfo.html
they say that "For both RAs and TAs, full tuition is paid over and above the stipend."

What does that mean? I think that linked page is saying that graduate school is free if you are willing to TA or RA, but I am not really sure I understood it right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You guessed correctly: it means that tuition is in effect waived; the stipend is for your living expenses only. Don't worry, Boston might not be cheap but I am pretty sure that you can subsist on an MIT stipend. Willing to TA? That's a funny way of putting it; you would be putting in very few hours for something worth... whatever the complete tuition bill would come to, and you would even be giving enough money to live on. Pretty generous, really! BTW, many graduate students find that fulfilling their TA duties are their favorite part of their week.

Last edited:

Hello there,

I can provide some clarification on the cost of graduate school at MIT. It is true that most graduate students at MIT receive some form of external or internal support, such as fellowships, grants, or assistantships. However, this support may not cover all of the costs associated with graduate school.

When the MIT grad school website mentions that full tuition is paid for RAs (Research Assistants) and TAs (Teaching Assistants), it means that these students do not have to pay tuition out of pocket. Instead, their tuition is covered by the research project or teaching responsibilities they have taken on. This can be a significant cost savings for graduate students, as tuition can be a major expense.

It is important to note that not all graduate students at MIT are required to be RAs or TAs. Some may receive other forms of support that cover tuition, while others may have to pay tuition themselves. It is best to research the specific program and funding options for the graduate program you are interested in to get a better understanding of the costs involved.

I hope this helps clarify the information on the MIT grad school website. Graduate school can be a significant investment, and it is important to thoroughly research and understand the costs and funding options available. Best of luck in your academic pursuits.

1. What is the average cost of attending graduate school at MIT?

The average cost of graduate school at MIT is approximately $55,000 per year for tuition and fees. This does not include additional expenses such as housing, books, and supplies.

2. Are there any financial aid options available for graduate students at MIT?

Yes, MIT offers a variety of financial aid options for graduate students, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. These options are based on financial need and academic merit.

3. Is the cost of graduate school at MIT different for international students?

Yes, international students at MIT are required to pay a higher tuition rate compared to domestic students. This is due to the additional costs associated with attending school in a different country.

4. Can I work while attending graduate school at MIT to help cover the cost?

Yes, MIT allows graduate students to work on campus through their work-study program. Additionally, students may also seek employment off-campus to help cover the cost of attending graduate school.

5. Are there any opportunities for graduate students at MIT to receive funding for their research or projects?

Yes, MIT offers various funding opportunities for graduate students, such as research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships. These opportunities are typically awarded based on academic merit and research potential.