Buying a New Car Tag in Florida: Dealer Charges & Fees

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's experience buying a new car from a dealership in Florida. The dealer is charging them $370 for a new tag for the car, and they are unsure of how much of that money is actually going towards the tag. The person tried to find information on the DMV website but was unsuccessful, and when they called, they were put on hold for half an hour. They then mention their experience buying a car in Maine, where they paid sales tax and a title application fee to the dealership, and received a temporary tag before getting new plates from their municipality. They suggest contacting the County Treasurer in Florida to inquire about the tag system.
leroyjenkens
The dealer where I bought my car is charging me 370 dollars to get my new tag for my new car. How much of that money is going towards the actual tag and how much are they taking out? I live in Florida. I tried looking on the DMV website and that's pointless. I saw no information that will help me. Then I called, but they want me to wait half an hour to talk to somebody. Anyone else experience buying a new car from a dealership and then they want you to pay them 20395 dollars for a tag?

Physics news on Phys.org
What tag are you referring to?

I have no idea what kind of system Florida has going. In Maine, you pay your sales tax to the dealership, who hands it into the state. You also pay a title application fee. Then the dealership issues you a temporary (cardboard) tag that can buy you maybe a couple of weeks before you have to get new tags (plates) from your municipality. They charge you a registration fee (flat-rate) and excise tax which is based on the value of your new ride.

Call your County Treasurer. Here in Kansas, tags are issued by the County who needs proof of insurance and how much you paid for the auto (This determines amount owed).

As a scientist, my expertise lies in research and analysis of data. While I am not familiar with the specific details of car buying and tag fees in Florida, I can offer some suggestions for finding accurate information.

Firstly, it is important to understand that car dealerships are private businesses and have the right to charge fees for their services. However, these fees should be clearly stated and transparent to the consumer. It is possible that the $370 fee for a new tag includes both the cost of the tag itself and processing fees charged by the dealership. It is also possible that the dealership is marking up the cost of the tag for their own profit.

To get a better understanding of the breakdown of this fee, I recommend contacting the dealership directly and asking for a detailed explanation of the charges. You can also ask for a breakdown of the fees in writing, which can be helpful for comparison with other dealerships.

Additionally, you can reach out to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) for more information on tag fees. They have a customer service line that you can call and they may be able to provide more specific information on the cost of tags in Florida.

In conclusion, it is always important to do your own research and ask questions when making a significant purchase, such as buying a new car. While it may be frustrating to wait on hold or navigate through websites, it is important to gather accurate information before making a decision.

What are the common fees and charges associated with buying a new car tag in Florida?

The most common fees and charges associated with buying a new car tag in Florida include sales tax, title transfer fee, registration fee, and plate fee. Additionally, there may be other charges such as a documentary fee, tag agency fee, and electronic filing fee.

What is the sales tax rate for buying a new car tag in Florida?

The sales tax rate for buying a new car tag in Florida is 6%. However, some counties may have an additional discretionary sales surtax, which can range from 0.5% to 2.5%. It is important to check with your local county tax collector's office for the exact sales tax rate.

Do I have to pay a title transfer fee when buying a new car tag in Florida?

Yes, a title transfer fee is required when buying a new car tag in Florida. The fee is $75.25 for an electronic title transfer, or $77.75 for a paper title transfer. This fee covers the cost of transferring the vehicle's title to your name.

Are there any additional fees that dealers may charge when buying a new car tag in Florida?

Yes, dealers may charge additional fees such as a documentary fee, which covers the cost of preparing and processing paperwork, or a tag agency fee, which covers the cost of physically obtaining and processing the new tag for your vehicle. These fees can vary, so it is important to ask the dealer about any additional charges.

Can I negotiate the fees and charges when buying a new car tag in Florida?

Some fees and charges, such as sales tax and title transfer fees, are not negotiable. However, some dealers may be willing to negotiate on other fees, such as the documentary fee or tag agency fee. It is always worth asking the dealer if they are willing to negotiate these fees before finalizing the purchase.