Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cost of running pf

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Is it ok to ask how much would it cost and the profit involved to maintain pf? Just a ballpark number, not looking for a quarterly balance sheet/cash flow statement. Also what are the day-to-day challenges you face when you are running this site?
    I was also curious to how Greg manage to get the ads? Do PF approach companies for ads, or they approach PF?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

PF earns three-fiddy a year

The day to day challenges involve fending off CIA intrusions into the site, excess penguin poop, and moderators going ban happy.

On a more serious note, PF uses Google's adworks I believe?

4. Aug 9, 2011 #3
    The server costs several hundred a month. The ads are managed by ad network companies. I just post them.

5. Aug 9, 2011 #4
  6. Aug 9, 2011 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

We recycle the electrons and jokes.

7. Aug 9, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

8. Aug 14, 2011 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have some good questions.
    If I may summarize from the above replies & PF https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=83".
    Preliminary balance sheet:

costs:
    The server costs several hundred a month.
    The staff: owner, administrators, mentors, advisors: No monetary compensation

income: advertisements with Adsense, pf gold memberships

balance: net loss or profit (red or black) - ball park figure? (incomplete data)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook