Organic Soy Milk at Costco: Refrigerated vs. Non-Refrigerated

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organic
In summary: Yeah but why not use something that's healthier for the body and better for the planet?In summary, Costco has 2 types of Vanilla organic soy milk - one is kept without any cooling with an expiry date after a year, the other one is kept refrigerated, with the same expiry as regular milk. The refrigerated milk is less sweet and has a longer expiry date.
jobyts
Costco has 2 types of Vanilla organic soy milk - one is kept without any cooling with an expiry date after a year, the other one is kept refrigerated, with the same expiry as regular milk. What's the difference between these two?

Physics news on Phys.org
One is cold, vile, overly sweeted bean juice. The other is room temperature, vile, overly sweetened bean juice.

maybe one is sealed up tighter?

When I was in France, they had milk cartons that were processed in a way that they could sit without refrigeration for very extended periods.

lisab said:
One is cold, vile, overly sweeted bean juice. The other is room temperature, vile, overly sweetened bean juice.

Buwahaha

Breast milk can be stored in the freezer up to 6 months with those ziplock like special plastic bags. My wife stored it in the refrigerator for sometime, but my in-laws couldn't imagine the concept of feeding the baby with few months old milk. To keep them happy, we ended up throwing away the milk :(

Evo said:
When I was in France, they had milk cartons that were processed in a way that they could sit without refrigeration for very extended periods.
I believe in French it's called making cheese

Alternatively you can get sterilized milk which is completely disgusting but it's the only thing you can get in countries that are too hot for cows.

NobodySpecial said:
I believe in French it's called making cheese

Alternatively you can get sterilized milk which is completely disgusting but it's the only thing you can get in countries that are too hot for cows.
At the same time, I discovered that if you don't wash eggs after they are taken from the nest that they have a natural protective covering and will last for weeks unrefrigerated. I was really surprised. This is all posted in an old thread.

jobyts said:
Breast milk can be stored in the freezer up to 6 months with those ziplock like special plastic bags. My wife stored it in the refrigerator for sometime, but my in-laws couldn't imagine the concept of feeding the baby with few months old milk. To keep them happy, we ended up throwing away the milk :(

not sure how much vitamin C is in breast milk, but I'm pretty sure freezing will destroy most of it. not to say that the diet would be so one-sourced at that point, but simply that freezing loses something nutritionally.

The simple answer is that the soy milk in the fridge is hasn't been processed for long-term storage, while the shelf milk has. See the link below for the processing they do in order to get this to work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aseptic_processing"

By the way, soy milk is delicious! But only the unsweetened kind. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
dreiter said:
The simple answer is that the soy milk in the fridge is hasn't been processed for long-term storage, while the shelf milk has. See the link below for the processing they do in order to get this to work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aseptic_processing"

By the way, soy milk is delicious! But only the unsweetened kind. :)

Thanks for the link. So the flash heating process does cause to loose some nutrients, but better than other sterilization methods.

I use this milk as a backup, mainly because of it's long expiry date. On a monday morning you open the refrigerator, the regular milk bottle is empty or turned bad, kids are hungry...starving...screaming...

Last edited by a moderator:
powdered milk keeps in the cupboard just fine

Proton Soup said:
powdered milk keeps in the cupboard just fine

Yeah but why not use something that's healthier for the body and better for the planet? :)

1. What is the difference between refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco?

The main difference between refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco is the method of preservation. Refrigerated soy milk is kept at a lower temperature, typically between 35-40°F, to slow down the growth of bacteria and extend its shelf life. Non-refrigerated soy milk, on the other hand, goes through a process called ultra-high temperature (UHT) pasteurization which kills all bacteria and allows the milk to be shelf-stable at room temperature.

2. Is there a difference in taste between refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco?

While the taste may vary between different brands and types of organic soy milk, there is typically no significant difference in taste between refrigerated and non-refrigerated options. However, some people may prefer the taste of one over the other.

3. How long can refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco be stored?

Refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco typically has a shelf life of 7-10 days, while non-refrigerated options can last up to 12 months if unopened. Once opened, both types of soy milk should be consumed within 7-10 days.

4. Are there any nutritional differences between refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco?

In terms of nutrition, there is typically no significant difference between refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco. Both types contain similar amounts of protein, calcium, and other vitamins and minerals. However, some non-refrigerated options may have added preservatives and stabilizers.

5. Can I use refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco interchangeably?

Yes, you can use refrigerated and non-refrigerated organic soy milk at Costco interchangeably in most recipes. However, it is important to note that the consistency of non-refrigerated soy milk may be slightly thicker due to the UHT pasteurization process. This may affect the texture of some dishes, such as baked goods.