Can I also say that cot (0) = positive infinity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of cot (0) and csc (0°) and whether they are undefined or positive infinity. It is concluded that it is best to refer to cot (0) and csc (0°) as undefined during the beginning stages of trigonometry. It is also noted that 0 degrees and 0 radians are the same value.
xyz_1965
I know that cot (0) = 1/tan (0) = 1/0.

Most textbooks show that cot (0) = undefined.

Can I also say that cot (0) = positive infinity?

Is there a difference between 1/0 is undefined and 1/0 is positive infinity?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would stick with calling \(\displaystyle \cot(0)\) undefined like any other division by zero until you are studying limits.

MarkFL said:
I would stick with calling \(\displaystyle \cot(0)\) undefined like any other division by zero until you are studying limits.

By limits do you mean taking limits at positive and negative infinity?

MarkFL said:

Does the same thing apply to csc (0°)?
In other words, csc (0°) = 1/sin (0°) = 1/0, which is undefined not positive infinity.

MarkFL said:

Originally I meant to type cot (0°) not cot (0) but you understood right away.

Mark,

Here is Jason completing a chart of trig function values. Jason said cot (0°) = positive infinity = csc (0°) = positive infinity.

I am going to put the idea of limits on hold as you suggested but please watch the video clip.

xyz_1965 said:
Mark,

Here is Jason completing a chart of trig function values. Jason said cot (0°) = positive infinity = csc (0°) = positive infinity.

I am going to put the idea of limits on hold as you suggested but please watch the video clip.

Note that $\cot(-0.01^\circ)$ is pretty far negative - nowhere near positive infinity.
So saying that $\cot 0^\circ$ is positive infinity is wrong, but we might say it is infinity.
Note that the guy in the video does not say positive infinity, but instead he refers to just infinity, which he writes as $\infty$.

Just for fun, we have basically the following choices here:
  1. $\cot 0^\circ$ is $\text{undefined}$, which is correct with respect to the real numbers ($\mathbb R$), and avoids confusion with advanced concepts.
  2. $\cot 0^\circ=\infty$, which is correct with respect to the Real projective line ($\mathbb R\cup \{\infty\}$). In this case there is no distinction between $-\infty$ and $+\infty$. They are just $\infty$.
  3. $\cot 0^\circ = +\infty$ or $\cot 0^\circ =-\infty$, which are both wrong in this particular case, but they are with respect to the Hyperreal numbers (${}^*\mathbb R$), which includes $-\infty$, $+\infty$, and also many other infinities and infinitesimals.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Note that $\cot(-0.01^\circ)$ is pretty far negative - nowhere near positive infinity.
So saying that $\cot 0^\circ$ is positive infinity is wrong, but we might say it is infinity.
Note that the guy in the video does not say positive infinity, but instead he refers to just infinity, which he writes as $\infty$.

Just for fun, we have basically the following choices here:
  1. $\cot 0^\circ$ is $\text{undefined}$, which is correct with respect to the real numbers ($\mathbb R$), and avoids confusion with advanced concepts.
  2. $\cot 0^\circ=\infty$, which is correct with respect to the Real projective line ($\mathbb R\cup \{\infty\}$). In this case there is no distinction between $-\infty$ and $+\infty$. They are just $\infty$.
  3. $\cot 0^\circ = +\infty$ or $\cot 0^\circ =-\infty$, which are both wrong in this particular case, but they are with respect to the Hyperreal numbers (${}^*\mathbb R$), which includes $-\infty$, $+\infty$, and also many other infinities and infinitesimals.

I will stick to the basic and just use the word undefined at this beginning stage of trigonometry.

xyz_1965 said:
Does the same thing apply to csc (0°)?
In other words, csc (0°) = 1/sin (0°) = 1/0, which is undefined not positive infinity.

Yes.
xyz_1965 said:
Originally I meant to type cot (0°) not cot (0) but you understood right away.

0 degrees and 0 radians are the same thing.

MarkFL said:
Yes.0 degrees and 0 radians are the same thing.

You said:

"0 degrees and 0 radians are the same."

How silly of me to forget this basic fact.

What is the definition of cot(0)?

The cotangent function is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side of a right triangle, when the angle between the hypotenuse and adjacent side is 0 degrees.

Why is cot(0) equal to positive infinity?

Since the adjacent side of a right triangle is 1 and the opposite side is 0 when the angle is 0 degrees, the ratio of these sides (cotangent) becomes 1/0, which is undefined in mathematics. However, as the angle approaches 0 degrees, the value of the cotangent function increases without bound, hence it is said to be equal to positive infinity.

Can cot(0) have a negative value?

No, the cotangent function cannot have a negative value at 0 degrees. As mentioned earlier, the value of the function increases without bound as the angle approaches 0 degrees, so it can only be positive infinity.

Is cot(0) defined for all real numbers?

No, the cotangent function is not defined for all real numbers. It is undefined at 0 degrees and also at odd multiples of 90 degrees, where the opposite side becomes 0. For other angles, the function is defined and has a finite value.

How is cot(0) used in mathematics?

The cotangent function is used in trigonometry to calculate the ratio of the adjacent and opposite sides of a right triangle at a given angle. It is also used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and in physics to calculate forces and motion in circular motion problems.