1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cot^(-1)(0) = pi/2, why?

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't understand why cot^(-1)(0) = pi/2 and was hoping someone could explain this to me. cot(theta)=1/tan(theta)
    because tan^(-1)(0) is undefined
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think you're confusing [itex]cot^{-1}(\theta) = {{1}\over{cot(\theta)}}[/itex] with the Arc-cotangent or "Inverse cotangent", which is the inverse function of [itex]cotan(\theta)[/itex]. The inverse cotangent is the function that tells you what values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give you the value 'x' in [itex]cotan(\theta) = x[/itex].

So in other words, [itex]cot^{-1}(0)[/itex] is asking what values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give you [itex]cot(\theta) = 0[/itex].

EDIT: Ok I think I got that squared away correctly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Aug 4, 2011 #3
    oh so cot(0) is undefined because
    cot(0) = 1/tan(0) = 1/0 = undefined, makes sense
    cot(pi/2) = 1/tan(pi/2) = 1/undefined =/= 0
    I don't see how the two are equal, and ya I think I may be getting some things mixed up as I haven't dealt with basic trig in several years lolz

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No, cot(pi/2) = 0.

Why would they be equal in the first place?

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    cot(theta)=1/tan(theta)
    cot(pi/2) should then be equal to 1/tan(pi/2)
    cot(pi/2) = 0 = 1/tan(pi/2)

I just don't understand why
    1/tan(pi/2) is equal to zero
    because tan(pi/2) = undefined
    so 1/tan(pi/2) = 1/undefined
    how is this equal to zero?[/quote]
    Rather than think of cot(x) as 1/tan(x), a more fundamental definition is: tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x) and cot(x)= cos(x)/sin(x). [itex]sin(\pi/2)= 1[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] so [itex]tan(\pi/2)[/itex] is undefined (the denominator is 0) while [itex]cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] (the numerator is 0).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
  7. Aug 4, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

cot-1(x) is another way to write the arccot(x) function.

cot-1(x) ≠ 1/cot(x) .

8. Aug 5, 2011 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It's undefined in the sense that division by zero is not allowed. Think about it this way, if [tex]\frac{a}{\left(\frac{b}{c}\right)}=\frac{ac}{b}[/tex] then [tex]\frac{1}{\left(\frac{1}{0}\right)}=0[/tex]

Or you can even think of division by zero as being [itex]\pm\infty[/itex] so when we divide a finite value by this amount, we get 0.

9. Aug 5, 2011 #8

uart

Science Advisor

Hi Greenprint. Mentallic has the correct answer here. [itex]1/0[/itex] is undefined however [itex]0/1[/itex] is perfectly well defined and is equal to zero.

10. Aug 6, 2011 #9
    [itex]\cot^{-1}(0) = \pi/2 \Rightarrow \cot(\pi/2) = 0[/itex]

Trying to rearrange it so you can use the more familiar tan doesn't really help since it brings in division by 0. Take a look at the graph of cot-1x and see what the value is when x = 0

Attached Files:

11. Aug 6, 2011 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it would help to point out that the basic definition of [itex]cot(x)[/itex] is [itex]cos(x)/sin(x)[/itex], not [itex]1/tan(x)[/itex]. At [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]tan(x)[/itex] is not defined but [itex]cos(\pi/2)= cos(\pi/2)/sin(\pi/2)= 0/1= 0[/itex]

12. Aug 6, 2011 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O.P. acknowledged that [itex]\cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] in Post #5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook