What is the solution to cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))?

• Thread starter Sobhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary, the conversation discusses how to express \cot(\arctan(x)) and other trigonometric functions without spaces. It is mentioned that by definition, \cot(\theta) = \frac{1}{\tan(\theta)} and that \tan(\theta/2) can also be a simple expression. It is also suggested to make a drawing to better understand the problem. Finally, an equation is derived to express \cot(x) in terms of \cot(2x) and it is noted that there is a common factor of 2 in the numerator and denominator.
Sobhan
Member warned about posting with no effort shown
The answer to Cot(arc tan x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sobhan said:
The answer to Cot(arc tan x)

How else can you express [itex]\cot{\theta}[/itex]? Also, arctan is a function and every function is only ever one word, so the way you should be writing this is [itex]\cot\left(\arctan(x)\right)[/itex]

Cot(arc tan (x))?

Sobhan said:
Cot(arc tan (x))?

I was simply explaining that functions such as cot(x), arctan(x), sin(x), ln(x) etc. are always written without any spaces.

arc tan (x) is wrong
arctan(x) is right

cot(arc tan (x)) is wrong
cot(arctan(x)) is right

Ok, so now that we have that out of the way, let's go back to the problem at hand. You want to simplify [itex]\cot(\arctan(x))[/itex]. Firstly, how else can you express [itex]\cot(x)[/itex]? That function has a very obvious relationship with tan(x) because it was defined that way. What is it?

Strange, I suggested you should make a little drawing to understand the question, but it seems to have gone lost in transmission

ArxTangent.jpg

Do you not know that, by definition, [itex]cot(\theta)= \frac{1}{tan(\theta)}[/itex]?

is it x^-1?

thanks for making me think.

What is cot(0.5×arctan(x))

Search for how else you can represent
[tex]\tan(\theta / 2)[/tex]

and decide whether this can help you. Sometimes expressions can't be simplified further, but they can be transformed regardless.

To help you on this journey, you might also need to figure out how to simplify [itex]\sin(\arctan(x))[/itex] and [itex]\cos(\arctan(x))[/itex]. The way you can do this is by drawing a right triangle, and then let one angle be [itex]\theta[/itex]. This angle will actually be [itex]\arctan(x)[/itex] though, which means that [itex]\theta=\arctan(x)[/itex] hence [itex]\tan(\theta)=x[/itex]. If [itex]\tan(\theta)=x[/itex] then can you label every side of the triangle in terms of x?

I have reached a equation to express cot(x) by cot(2x) and it is not an easy one the equation is this (2cot(2x)+(-)(4cot(2x)^2+4)^0.5))×2^-1
Is this right?

Did you make a drawing again ?

Sobhan said:
I have reached a equation to express cot(x) by cot(2x) and it is not an easy one the equation is this (2cot(2x)+(-)(4cot(2x)^2+4)^0.5))×2^-1
Is this right?

Did you derive that for yourself or take it from somewhere else? It also has an obvious common factor of 2 in the numerator and denominator.

BvU said:
Did you make a drawing again ?
Sorry BvU, I forgot all about your drawing further up. It could've saved me quite a bit of explaining in my last post if I just referred to your diagram.

Is it clear to all that if ##\cot(\arctan x)## is a very simple expression, then perhaps ##\cot ({1\over 2} \arctan x)## mght also be a simple expression ?

[edit] LaTeX justifiably does not recognize atan as a mathematical function name. It indeed should be arctan (no space) and not atan as I first typed ... .:rolleyes:

[edit] woops, all wrong, sorry o:). Wake up first, then check alerts! Not the other way around.

Last edited:
I got that from this : cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))

Sobhan said:
I got that from this : cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))
It's definitely been a while since I've seen tg.

Ok awesome, so can you finish it off?

1. What is the given equation, cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))?

The equation is a trigonometric equation that involves the functions cotangent (cot) and tangent (tg). The left side of the equation is cot(2x) and the right side is 0.5(cot(x)-tg(x)).

2. What is the solution to the equation cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))?

The solution to this equation is not a single value, but rather a set of values for x that satisfy the equation. These values can be found by solving the equation algebraically or graphically.

3. How do I solve cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))?

To solve this equation, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, or simplifying the equation. You can also use graphical methods by plotting the two sides of the equation on a graph and finding the intersection points.

4. Can the equation cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x)) have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation can have multiple solutions. This is because cotangent and tangent are periodic functions, meaning they repeat their values after certain intervals. Therefore, the equation may have infinitely many solutions depending on the range of x.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in the equation cot(2x)=0.5(cot(x)-tg(x))?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in this equation. Since cotangent and tangent functions are undefined at certain values (e.g. cot(90°) and tg(90°)), the values of x must not make the denominators in the equation equal to zero. Additionally, the equation may have a restricted domain based on the context of the problem it is being used for.