1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cotangent function integration problem

1. Jan 1, 2005 #1
    I was doing an integration question earlier on and I came across something that I would like to be cleared up. The question basically boiled down to:

[tex]
    - \left[ {\cot \left( \theta \right) + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}} = - \left[ {\frac{{\cos \left( \theta \right)}}{{\sin \left( \theta \right)}} + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}
    [/tex]

Now if I just substitute the relevant values into the antiderivative it works out fine. However if I write the following I end up getting a 'weird' (I do not
    know the right words to describe it :biggrin: ) answer(something involving 1/infinity).

[tex]
    - \left[ {\cot \left( \theta \right) + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}} = - \left[ {\frac{1}{{\tan \left( \theta \right)}} + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}
    [/tex]

Can someone explain to me why this occurs? I can understand that when certain values are substituted in, 'weird' numbers appear but I cannot understand why the question works/does not work, depending on which way an expression is written(I am referring to the cotangent function), even though it is just the same thing. Any help would be good. I hope I was not unclear. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's because [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] is the domain of cotangent (cot pi/2=0) and not in the domain of tangent (tan pi/2 does not exist).Taking this int consideration,at best u can do is set a limit for the 1/tangent.But again,why do that,when pi/2 is clearly in the domain on cotangent and the result works out fine?

Daniel.

4. Jan 1, 2005 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?