Cotangent function integration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving the antiderivative of cotangent and how substituting values can lead to a strange answer involving 1/infinity. It is explained that this occurs because pi/2 is not in the domain of tangent, but is in the domain of cotangent. This clarifies why the antiderivative works when substituted with relevant values, but not when using the reciprocal of tangent.
Benny
I was doing an integration question earlier on and I came across something that I would like to be cleared up. The question basically boiled down to:

[tex]
- \left[ {\cot \left( \theta \right) + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}} = - \left[ {\frac{{\cos \left( \theta \right)}}{{\sin \left( \theta \right)}} + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}
[/tex]

Now if I just substitute the relevant values into the antiderivative it works out fine. However if I write the following I end up getting a 'weird' (I do not
know the right words to describe it :biggrin: ) answer(something involving 1/infinity).

[tex]
- \left[ {\cot \left( \theta \right) + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}} = - \left[ {\frac{1}{{\tan \left( \theta \right)}} + \theta } \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}
[/tex]

Can someone explain to me why this occurs? I can understand that when certain values are substituted in, 'weird' numbers appear but I cannot understand why the question works/does not work, depending on which way an expression is written(I am referring to the cotangent function), even though it is just the same thing. Any help would be good. I hope I was not unclear. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's because [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] is the domain of cotangent (cot pi/2=0) and not in the domain of tangent (tan pi/2 does not exist).Taking this int consideration,at best u can do is set a limit for the 1/tangent.But again,why do that,when pi/2 is clearly in the domain on cotangent and the result works out fine?

Daniel.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

1. What is the cotangent function?

The cotangent function is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the tangent function. It is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side in a right triangle.

2. How do you integrate the cotangent function?

To integrate the cotangent function, you can use the substitution method or the integration by parts method. It is also helpful to use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the integral.

3. What is the domain and range of the cotangent function?

The domain of the cotangent function is all real numbers except for the values where the cosine function is equal to 0, which would result in a division by 0 error. The range of the cotangent function is all real numbers.

4. How do you handle the singularity at certain values of the cotangent function?

At certain values of the cotangent function, such as when the cosine is equal to 0, the function becomes undefined. In these cases, you can use the limit definition of the cotangent function to evaluate the integral.

5. Can the cotangent function integration problem be solved analytically?

Yes, the cotangent function integration problem can be solved analytically using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. However, some integrals may be difficult or impossible to solve analytically and may require numerical methods.