Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cough syrup scam?

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1
    Is it true that there is no effective cough syrup in the market. A Med school says that none has been proven to really cure cough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Cough syrup doesn't claim to cure cough (at least none I've seen), it temporarily relieves it.

Some cough syrup helps break up and expel mucus and doesn't try to stop the cough. It depends on what you need/want.

4. Dec 25, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah i've never heard of a cough syrup that says it will stop your coughing like some sort of cure.

5. Dec 25, 2005 #4
    I think you misheard. Some cough syrups do work. the only thing I've heard about cough syrup facts is that cough syrup doesn't work by coating your throat so it is okay to have a drink of water after you take some. I never was allowed to when I was little, and I hate the taste of cough syrup.

6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    I've had cough syrups actually work. They also dilate my pupils and give me cold shivers. :yuck: That's why I prefer the suppresants - things with menthol or pectin in them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?