Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could a Little Boy Be Proof of Reincarnation?

1. Apr 16, 2004 #1

Staff: Mentor

Did anyone watch this on ABC Primetime last night? I don't believe in reincarnation, but this is strange. The parents really don't seem the type to believe in this stuff either, at least they didn't.

ABC News

April 15 — Nearly six decades ago, a 21-year-old Navy fighter pilot on a mission over the Pacific was shot down by Japanese artillery. His name might have been forgotten, were it not for 6-year-old James Leininger.

Quite a few people — including those who knew the fighter pilot — think James is the pilot, reincarnated.

James' parents, Andrea and Bruce, a highly educated, modern couple, say they are "probably the people least likely to have a scenario like this pop up in their lives."

But over time, they have become convinced their little son has had a former life.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The story of the Dalai Lama is also interesting.
  4. Apr 16, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it is, as are some others I have read about.

My life sucks so bad I don't want to do it all over again. :frown:
  5. Apr 16, 2004 #4
    I seriously don't believe this family (no offense intended) I'd rather do my own research and see if this is true.
    This part is ludicrous. The young boy could have done the research himself. Just because he's 3 doesn't mean he is unable to read for himself. You know, some kids begin reading at 1. These of course are profoundly gifted kids.
    And just because the mom didn't know what a drop tank was doesn't mean the kid can be deemed a reincarnated pilot. the device apparently exists with or without the mom's knowledge.

But besides that, the other data is interesting, but I'm really really skeptical about it.
  6. Apr 17, 2004 #5
    No (since I am in Europe) but read the article.
    It think it's correct.
    Reincarnation is one of the facets of the conservation of energy. Not that complicated. :wink:
  7. Apr 20, 2004 #6
    I was thinking that since there are more animals/insects than humans, maybe we could say that if reincarnation was real and could take place between species, then the boy's claim may be true. The chance that a life force that was in human form in the past life is human again in this lifetime is pretty slim. So that's why we don't hear these kind of stories that often.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?