Could any one suggest one book on probability theory to me?

In summary, probability theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the likelihood of events occurring and is essential in many fields. There is no single book that covers all aspects of probability theory, but a good book should cover the basics in a clear and easy-to-understand manner and provide real-world applications. Popular choices for books on probability theory include "Introduction to Probability" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis, "Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by David J. Morin, and "Probability and Random Processes" by Geoffrey Grimmett and David Stirzaker.
wdlang
i am working on theoretical physics

i hope i can get a book on probability theory

i hope this book is a bit advanced to have detailed discussion of characteristic functions and their applications.

i do not like the statistics applications. I hope that part is as small as possible.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your background. Chung's book is good, but you need to know some measure theory.

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the likelihood of events occurring. It involves analyzing the possible outcomes of a particular event and assigning numerical values to represent the likelihood of each outcome.

2. Why is it important to learn about probability theory?

Probability theory is essential in many fields, including science, engineering, economics, and finance. It allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of different outcomes. It also helps us understand and interpret data and make sense of uncertainty.

3. Is there a specific book that covers all aspects of probability theory?

No, probability theory is a vast subject with many subtopics, such as combinatorics, conditional probability, and random variables. It is unlikely that one book could cover all aspects comprehensively. However, some books cover the fundamentals and provide a solid foundation for further study.

4. What should I look for in a book on probability theory?

A good book on probability theory should cover the basics, including definitions, concepts, and formulas, in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. It should also provide examples and practice problems to help reinforce the material. Additionally, a book that includes real-world applications of probability theory can make the subject more engaging and relevant.

5. Can you recommend a specific book on probability theory?

There are many excellent books on probability theory, and the best one for you will depend on your level of knowledge and specific interests. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Probability" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis, "Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by David J. Morin, and "Probability and Random Processes" by Geoffrey Grimmett and David Stirzaker.