Could COVID Travel from Car Trunk into Main Car Area from Drive-Up?

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of using curbside/drive-up pick-up services during the COVID-19 pandemic. The individual shares their experience with this service and their concerns about the possibility of the virus entering their car through the trunk. The conversation also touches on the safety precautions that can be taken, such as disinfecting the trunk and items before and after pickup. Additionally, the conversation briefly mentions the potential exchange of air between a crawl space and a home.
mcastillo356 said:
Hi,kiphysics! In my opinion you have to check before if the package is absorbent; if it soaks up.
Greetings!
:smile:
That makes sense. Although, when you're checking the first time, it could damage the package. For example, if I have a bag of potato chips and use my Chlorox bleach wipe on it to test it, then the very first time I wipe it could degrade the package if it's not meant to be used on it. Then, I'd have to throw away my potato chips, as the bleach could have leaked onto them. What if I have a lot of food packages like that? I would have to throw them away, right?

Thanks, by the way, for always being super polite! I've noticed that and it gives me a smile.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
New Question:
What if I leave my food in trunk from the grocery store for 3 days and the temperature outside gets very cold at night and then warmer in the day to produce a wide temperature range.

For example, let's say it gets to 33 degrees at night, but during the day when the sun is out, it's 65 degrees. Would that damage my food?

kyphysics said:
For example, let's say it gets to 33 degrees at night, but during the day when the sun is out, it's 65 degrees. Would that damage my food?
Is it raw seafood or poultry?

Keith_McClary said:
Is it raw seafood or poultry?
Ah, no. I'm thinking of stuff that is not raw and doesn't need refrigeration (as is - of course, some items say to refrigerate after opening, but these would still be closed at that point).

I'm thinking of canned soup, canned nacho cheese (...or any dairy products really), and maybe some canned fruits & veggies (e.g., corn, fruit cocktail, etc.). Assume, though, the canned soups include some meat (such as gumbo soup with meatballs).

Would leaving them in the trunk and shifting through, say 30 degrees and then 65 degrees ...back and forth, back and forth over 3 days ruin the food in any way?

And, what about cleaning products like bleach and rubbing alcohol? Would that get messed up chemically and explode or something? lol *I'm serious about this, despite the laugh.*

The cold could ruin certain types of food such as soft fruits.
Some foods could spoil at 65 degrees.
Note that the temp in your car could exceed outside temp if it's in the sun.
Your canned products should all be fine.

I have found that circa-freezing temps are not really enough to explode pop (soda) cans. But they will explode (rather spectacularly, I might add) if temps drop down below -10C (0F).
And, what about cleaning products like bleach and rubbing alcohol? Would that get messed up chemically and explode or something?
No.
If your cleaning products rupture below freezing then it's because water is their primary ingredient.

Likes russ_watters
kyphysics said:
... if I have a bag of potato chips and use my Chlorox bleach wipe on it to test it, then the very first time I wipe it could degrade the package if it's not meant to be used on it. Then, I'd have to throw away my potato chips, as the bleach could have leaked onto them.
  • Test a flap of the bag, one not exposed to the chips.
  • It's not going to "leak" into your chips unless you really overdo it. It's not a solvent.
  • The bleach wipes are also not toxic to that degree. After all, you use your hands to wipe with them, and you put your hands in your mouth.

kyphysics said:
What if I have a lot of food packages like that? I would have to throw them away, right?
You're not going to test every single one are you?
Worst case, you can sacrifice one bag to do experiments on and keep the rest.

kyphysics said:
Out of curiosity, if "exhaust path" didn't exist, what would happen? Would the car explode or something?
Things are not airtight to the level that you could build up relevant pressure differences, unless they are explicitly designed for it (cans, bottles, ...). Even if you keep all obvious openings closed you still get some air flow - in a car, in a house, and basically everywhere else.
kyphysics said:
What if I have a lot of food packages like that? I would have to throw them away, right?
Empty the container (e.g. by eating the content, but it's up to you), then test whatever you want to test.

^^^yes, yes

All good points/recommendations by you guys. COVID isolation has probably lowered my already low IQ by 10-fold. :smile:

kyphysics said:
^^^yes, yes

All good points/recommendations by you guys. COVID isolation has probably lowered my already low IQ by 10-fold. :smile:
Don't beat yourself up.
A lesser known effect of isolation: the stagnation of creative thinking and idea cross-pollination.

Likes kyphysics
DaveC426913 said:
the stagnation of creative thinking and idea cross-pollination.
But, we spend all our time having intelligent discussions on the Web!

Likes kyphysics
Keith_McClary said:
But, we spend all our time having intelligent discussions on the Web!
There's still some weird effects of less in-person interaction, though.

Just don't feel "right." It probably affects lower IQ people like myself a lot more too.

DaveC426913 said:
No.
If your cleaning products rupture below freezing then it's because water is their primary ingredient.
So, I bought bleach (along with canned groceries) and it's in my trunk. I can open it today (after 2 days) or Monday (3 days). My local temperatures have been great. Nothing approaching freezing. However, it could breach freezing temperatures tonight/Mon. morning as it will get suddenly/dramatically cold.

So, if bleach doesn't physically explode (if that is what you meant by "rupture") below freezing, would it by chance lose its chemical properties (as in, it's now less effective or not effective at all after it's been frozen)?

eta: I wasn't sure if "rupture" encompassed that part or not, but if, yes, sorry for asking again.

kyphysics said:
So, if bleach doesn't physically explode (if that is what you meant by "rupture") below freezing
Its just that water expands 10% when it freezes. Have you never put (bottled or canned) beverages in the freezer to quick chill and then forgotten to remove them before they froze? (It's messy.)

Bleach is kept in flexible containers, not cans.

Likes russ_watters
kyphysics said:
My local temperatures have been great. Nothing approaching freezing. However, it could breach freezing temperatures tonight/Mon. morning as it will get suddenly/dramatically cold.
Freezing temperature of what?

Likes kyphysics
russ_watters said:
Freezing temperature of what?
water...this is a good question, as I see bleach freezes at 19F

We won't hit that (not even close), but I do wonder if the chemical properties of bleach sort of diminish from just being in the 30'sF?

Likes russ_watters
kyphysics said:
bleach freezes at 19F
That's -7C. It's colder than that here. I will do the experiment if someone will volunteer to clean up the mess!

kyphysics said:
water...this is a good question, as I see bleach freezes at 19F
Yep. Love google.
We won't hit that (not even close), but I do wonder if the chemical properties of bleach sort of diminish from just being in the 30'sF?
No, it doesn't work that way. As a solution it freezes at 19F, period. That means nothing happens at 32F.

Freezing is not the only thing that can happen to a liquid. I don't know what could happen in bleach, but just pointing out that it doesn't freeze doesn't mean anything.

As an example, eggs don't boil (or freeze) when you cook them, but clearly they change their state. More generally, you can get chemical reactions (rare when cooling down something), mixtures of substances can un-mix above/below certain temperatures and so on.

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters
For @kyphysics: I am pleased to meet someone more meticulous about COVID -19 than I am. Keep up the good work. Few thoughts
  1. This virus has a lipid layer that hates detergents. For sealed food a good wash in detergent water is probably the safest and least toxic solution.
  2. Chlorox is very corrosive to metals so be careful where you use it. Alcohol is less so. High proof ethanol for food items and isopropanol for other stuff is what I use where (1) not advisable
  3. I have a bunch of cheap cotton gloves (for doing optics) that I use once and carefully throw in the laundry. Keeps you from scratching your nose or rubbing your eyes. I hate rubber gloves
  4. Now wash your hands again
As astronaut Wally Schirra used to advise: maintain an even strain

mfb said:
Freezing is not the only thing that can happen to a liquid. I don't know what could happen in bleach, but just pointing out that it doesn't freeze doesn't mean anything.

As an example, eggs don't boil (or freeze) when you cook them, but clearly they change their state. More generally, you can get chemical reactions (rare when cooling down something), mixtures of substances can un-mix above/below certain temperatures and so on.
That's a good point. Thanks for the re:. I do wonder if leaving my shower spray bleach in the garage for a few days during the summer's 90-100 degree heat affected them? The garage is shaded, so they weren't getting the worst of that heat, but I noticed a lack of bleach smell when spraying them later.

I threw them out. I've since bought the same sprays and stored them in cooler temps and have noticed the normal bleach smell. I theorize the heat someone messed with the chemical make-up for the cleaners...but hard to prove for sure without lab analysis.

hutchphd said:
For @kyphysics: I am pleased to meet someone more meticulous about COVID -19 than I am.
Thanks. I did not go into the virus pandemic expecting to be this way. It evolved naturally after a family member died from COVID. Others also were infected and had moderate symptoms. So, I took it very seriously to a practically paranoid level. I admit that I'm on the extreme careful side. It's hard for me to turn that off in my brain.

Thankfully, we have two great vaccines and I look forward to the day I can relax and maybe go back to normal.

On a semi-related note, it's be said that many in Asia continued to wear masks post-SARS for both pollution and germ protection. It became a norm for many. I wonder if this will be true for some in the U.S. post-COVID? I know for me, it will take some reprogramming of the brain to relax.

Likes hutchphd
kyphysics said:
...but I noticed a lack of bleach smell when spraying them later.

I threw them out. I've since bought the same sprays and stored them in cooler temps and have noticed the normal bleach smell. I theorize the heat someone messed with the chemical make-up for the cleaners...but hard to prove for sure without lab analysis.
Yes. Bleach will degrade after a while, especially if exposed to sunlight.

Still, I really think you are way, way overthinking/doing this (unless this is an academic exercise in analysis).

The effectiveness of the bleach in disinfecting your materials is way, way faster than the time it takes for the bleach to decay. It takes on the order of minutes to disinfect. It takes on the order of days for bleach to degrade, and by that time it's long since done its work.

kyphysics said:
Thankfully, we have two great vaccines and I look forward to the day I can relax and maybe go back to normal.
Amen to that. Thankfully I have not had your level of personal tragedy.
I live a relatively solitary existence and decided early on (actually when the APS meeting was canceled last March) that I would maintain a high level of awareness. I have modulated it slightly along the way as dictated (better masks and a little less concern about surfaces) but I strive for a uniformly low exposure risk. And being over 65 it is my hope to get vaccine ~two months or less. Nice work by those folks. Stay safe.