Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could God make a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it?

Could he?

Poll closed May 13, 2003.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
  2. No

8 vote(s)
  1. Apr 13, 2003 #1
    It's a question that boggles the mind. If you answer yes, than God could not eat that burrito, meaning he is not all powerfull. If you give a negative response, you are limiting God's power by saying that he can't make that burrito. Either way you end up with counterevidence to God's existence. Am I right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2003 #2
    Well, when you get right down to it, you're asking whether God has likes and dislikes which, I think He does (I guess?), in which case it is possible for Him to make it a burrito which is too hot. Or, maybe He just allows us to believe this in order to suit our tastes?
  4. Apr 13, 2003 #3

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I've been chuckling for the last 20 minutes. VERY funny C0mmie.

If I believed God were all powerful, then I'd say that God could make a burrito so hot he couldn't eat it, and then he'd eat it anyway (sort of like wave-particle duality). In any case, I KNOW for a fact that the Mexican shop down the road can make a burrito which would fry every one of God's neurons.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  5. Apr 13, 2003 #4

An obvious get out clause is that God doesn't follow your laws of logic, in which case my objections in God vs Logic fall on you like a ton of divine bricks.
  6. Apr 13, 2003 #5
    Oh, you must have a very vivid imagination!
  7. Apr 15, 2003 #6
    Another response to this is it is beyond our 'human' comprehension.

I don't believe any question we can ask, or imagine, is outside of our comprehension, given time. Although, this doesn't require time to see the obvious contradiction. If this is outside of our comprehension, then wouldn't that also mean GOD is outside of our comprehension?
  8. Apr 15, 2003 #7
    was this on the old pf ? i seem to rember it
  9. Apr 15, 2003 #8

You are mistaken.

It was taco last time.
  10. Apr 16, 2003 #9
    Taco is much more accurate, what GOD would like burritos
  11. Apr 16, 2003 #10
    Thought for the day;

If it weren't meant to be eaten then why would God have shaped it like a taco?

I like the LW Sleeth responce. It seems to me that a god has been constructed that can not only make something so hot he can't eat it, then eat it anyway, but this god could eat it and yet not eat it all at the same instant.
  12. Apr 16, 2003 #11
    Did he eat it or not? You say he ate it and did not eat it, so he satisfies both of the contradictions of eating it and being unable to eat it, but he also fails to meet the requirement of both without violating the other. So basically we have an impossible/possible God at the same time:smile:
  13. Apr 16, 2003 #12
    Yes it is an impossible/possible situation we have here. All very confusing and I for one avoid thinking about any of it, preferring to trust the interpretations of the priests for what I should and should not believe…for they truly know what is best for me.
  14. Apr 16, 2003 #13
    That's quite possibly impossible!
  15. Apr 16, 2003 #14
    The only way for a theist to get around this problem, as it seems to me, is to apply the logic of quantum mechanics. The question assumes that god follows the laws of boolean logic (everything is divided into true and false), but according to quantum mechanics a photon can be both a particle and a wave, thought the two are radically different. Similarly, god, should he exist, could both make that burrito that he would not be able to eat and then go ahead and eat it.
  16. Apr 17, 2003 #15
    Oh my god(no pun intended)

That's actually a really interesting question.

You could simplify it.

Could god make a problem so hard, that he couldn't solve it.
  17. Apr 17, 2003 #16
    maybe he eats it but has heart burn and indigestion... and of course exsplosive diarrea
  18. May 12, 2003 #17
    What we have here is not a problem of what God can or can't do; but a clever and funny, problem of semantics and Sophilism. In short a retorical paradox. Personally I much prefer tacos to burritos. If we were addressing the subject of tacos I might dive more enthseastically into the problem. But since the question involves burritos I think that it is insoluble. The problen then reduces itself simply to the philisophical merits of the burrito versus those of the taco. I as I have all ready admitted am hoplessly biased in favor of the taco, so I must therefore disqualify myself from any ensueing discussion of this topic.
  19. May 12, 2003 #18
    Nice one, Royce.
  20. May 12, 2003 #19

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

The big bang, you mean.
  21. May 17, 2003 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, the famous boulder fallacy! :smile:

Stripping away all the flavor of the paradox, its simplest form is:

"Can God do something He cannot do?"

The atheist is fond of jumping the gun and saying this disproves the possibility of any omnipotent being.

However, more carefully looking at the sentence, one realizes there are actually two independant logical statements here:

"Let A be something God cannot do."
    "Can God do A?"

The resolution to the paradox is to realize that the question as a whole is nonsensical if there does not exist something God cannot do. You cannot ask "Can God do something He cannot do?" unless there is actually something He cannot do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?