Could gravitational waves form interference patterns?

Chronos

Science Advisor
Gold Member
The difficulty these days is coming up with a new idea that works on all levels of what we know about the universe. This culling effect powerfully influences theory as we know a great deal these days. Deconstructing what is known to accomodate a new idea is a formidable task. Nibbling at the edges is still popular with physicists. If something is fundamentally wrong with the underlying physics, it will be revealed by this approach.

This http://www.physorg.com/news175172691.html" [Broken] on physorg best illustrates what I'm getting at.

it changes the curvature which effectively changes the mass of the particles involved causing the Earth to shrink or expand under it's own gravity.
Hmm...But if the mass were changed, wouldn't that in turn increase/decrease curvature, which in turn would increase/decrease mass and so on, ad infinitum? That couldn't be right. Unless the change in mass(caused by a 'naked' GW) is the negative of the change in curvature, so they cancel out and conservation laws hold. And that change in mass would be caused by the energy that GW are supposed to carry away from their emitters...? Something ultimately related to E=mc2 and gravitons, I'd guess.

I sense the fields of gravitostatics and gravitodynamics emerging...

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckethead

Gold Member
This http://www.physorg.com/news175172691.html" [Broken] on physorg best illustrates what I'm getting at.

Hmm...But if the mass were changed, wouldn't that in turn increase/decrease curvature..
No, the mass of the planet changes due to the curvature because of the definition of mass which is the weight of the object in a gravitational field. When I speak of mass here I am talking about the measured mass of the planet. It's actual mass as far as it's number of protons and so on does not change. It's sort of the same thing as saying the a person in water weighs less than a person out of water. The water is the gravity wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving