1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could i build a electron gun.

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    Im 15 from the U.K and i want to do something with my life. So i jumped to the conclusion of building something, i didnt want something like a cyclotron, but i wanted to start of with something easier such as a electron my goal is to try and build an electron gun. I want to try and make this electron gun safe but also renewable such as with chemicals such has magnesium hydroxide i want to use magnesium hydroxide because it can be used to make pure hydrogen. and i was going to use a beryllium sheet to create electrons (from smashing the hydrogen into the beryllium) i was going to control the flow of electrons by using a sheet of lead to stop the hydrogen from hitting the Beryllium. I would really appreciate some advice with this and hopefully some constructive criticism. Thanks jack

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why do you want to use hydrogen and beryllium (nasty, poisonous element) to get electrons? Take a wire, heat it.
    It is possible to build small electron accelerators at home.

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3
    I want to do this because it is more challenging than heating a wirebut thanks for the comment.

5. Aug 20, 2012 #4
    How would you make pure hydrogen from this substance?

How would you accelerate hydrogen to bombard beryllium? Why does it need to be beryllium? Do you know it is toxic?

6. Aug 20, 2012 #5
    . If you heat magnesium hydroxide then you get some HCL it makes pure hydrogen and my physics teacher said if you bombard hydrogen into beryllium then it creates electrons but he also said that it can make some of the electrons e- meaning they turn radioactive that is why I have the lead shielding to stop the process just incase something happens as for the hydrogen acceleration (correct me if I'm wrong) but when you heat atoms such as hydrogen they vibrate and speed up more but if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears :) I have drawn a quick sketch so I can see what il need etc thanks for the response Jack.

7. Aug 20, 2012 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I await for this thread to be locked

this method of experimentation is extremely dangerous!!!

Dave

8. Aug 20, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is locked now.

OP: You are about to do some stuff that has dangerous elements to it. Ignorance may be bliss, but it can also be deadly. I would strongly suggest you find another project to do.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook