Understanding a Concept: Seeking Deeper Answers

• Thread starter Special One
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the LC network is in series with R, so work out its total reactance first. Then add this to R, Z=R+X##.
Special One
I have been trying to understand it but I couldn't
can anyone illustrate with deeper answer?

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The LC network is in series with R, so work out its total reactance first.
As with resistors in parallel, reactances use the same formula, but with either + or - signs.
So 1/X = 1/XL - 1/Xc
1/X = 1/10 - 1/60
X = 10 x 60 / (10 -60) = 600/-50 = -12
In other words, -j12.
Now add this to R,
Z = R + X
Z = 50 - j12

Likes Special One
But I still didn’t get how j appeared!?

If you have a reactance, rather than a resistance, you put j infront. It means that the current in the component is 90 degrees to the voltage.

Likes berkeman
Alright, thanks a lot bro

Special One said:
But I still didn’t get how j appeared!?
I sympathize. ##L, X=\omega L, j\omega L, jX, \vec Z## are all notations for the same thing. Why so many? Because practitioners find it convenient. You'll just have to learn them all and live with it.

Special One said:
I have been trying to understand it but I couldn't
can anyone illustrate with deeper answer?
There are lot of threads on PF regarding application of phasors. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page to see some them.

One could measure voltage and current with an a.c.ammetter. Then you'll get an average voltage named "rms" [root mean square].

Actually the alternative instant current [a.c.] value changes all the time very fast in a cyclic way.

From maxim to maxim [peak to peak] values the time is very short T=1/60=0.0167 sec[16.7 millisecond] or 1/50=0.02 sec.

An oscilloscope can measure that[See the link] and we can represent the measurement results on a paper so we get a sinusoidal wave.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscilloscope

If the voltage is applied on a [pure] resistance a current will pass through the resistance and the current wave will be the same as the voltage wave only at a different scale.

Not the same phenomenon occurs if instead of a resistance we have a coil that means an inductive reactance: the current wave will lag the voltage wave with 0.0041 sec[90o or π/2 radians].

If instead of resistance we have a capacitor the current will lead the voltage by 90o.

One may represent this wave on a circle and since α=ω.t changes with t always we may think the circle rotates with ω radians/sec. Let's sit on the circle plane [in the same way we stand on the rotated Earth and we think the Earth is fixed and does not rotate].Then v(t)=√2.Vrms. Let's represent -for our convenience- on a scale 1/√2.Then v(t)=Vrms=V.

The line representing the voltage or current in the above circle we call it phasor [and some time vector].

We may use for V the angle 0 since V.cos(o)=V.

If i(t) angle will be φ<>o then the actual part of the current will be I*cos(φ) and in case of pure resistance

when φ=0 i(t)=I.

I.sin(φ) it does not represent a real part of the current but a "parasite" one.

If we use the factor j=√-1 -which does not exist actually-we may assemble an imaginary expression j.sin(φ)

So we can consider y ordinate as imaginary one while abscissa x as the real [as voltage ].

i(φ)=I.cos(φ)+j.I.sin(φ)

If φ=0 i(φ)=I

If φ=-90o i(φ)=-j.I.sin(φ)

If φ=+90o i(φ)=+j.I.sin(φ)

If we multiply I^2 by R we get an actual power which we can measured with a wattmeter.

If we divide V by XL=2.π.f.L where f=supply system frequency and L the circuit inductance, or XC=1/(2.π.f.C) we get the current [IL or IC].But IL^2.XL [or IC^2.XC] it cannot be measured on a wattmeter. It is not a real power but a "reactive power".

If we combine a resistance and an inductance or capacitor we get a mixed current where tangent(φ)=XL/R [or XC/R].

Vector definition.jpg

Just for completeness someone should mention the term "complex number". That is what this phasor stuff really is and I think it may just be easier to learn rudimentary complex numbers and then this stuff is easy. I was taught using phasors from Sears and Zemansky and to this day do not know why. This is a general comment as well as for the OP because he/she seems at peace with it

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the process of understanding a concept?

The process of understanding a concept involves actively seeking deeper answers and connections to fully comprehend the meaning and implications of the concept. This can include researching, analyzing, and critically thinking about the concept in order to gain a comprehensive understanding.

2. How can I improve my understanding of a concept?

To improve understanding of a concept, it is important to actively engage with the material and seek out additional resources or explanations. This can include discussing the concept with others, asking questions, and practicing applying the concept in different contexts.

3. What are some common barriers to understanding a concept?

Some common barriers to understanding a concept include lack of prior knowledge or context, confusion or ambiguity in the concept itself, and personal biases or preconceived notions. It is important to actively identify and address these barriers in order to gain a deeper understanding.

4. How can understanding a concept be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding a concept can be applied in real-world situations by using it to solve problems, make decisions, and communicate effectively with others. It can also help in identifying patterns and connections between seemingly unrelated ideas or concepts.

5. What are the benefits of seeking deeper answers when trying to understand a concept?

Seeking deeper answers when trying to understand a concept can lead to a more thorough and accurate understanding, as well as the ability to apply the concept in various contexts. It can also improve critical thinking skills and promote a deeper curiosity and understanding of the world around us.