Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could light have mass?

Tags:
  1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    I was searching about the light and I found an article tha says that the light could have some kind of mass. This research was made at Harvard-MIT Center for Ultracold Atoms by Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin and MIT Professor of Physics Vladan Vuletic and I don't know

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

pabilbado

Gold Member

I don't know what you really mean, if you are talking about momentun certainly light has momentun.

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Can you give us a link to the article?

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4
    Wiki says "Photons inside superconductors do develop a nonzero effective rest mass; as a result, electromagnetic forces become short-range inside superconductors."

6. Sep 27, 2015 #5

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I Googled the phrase and I found http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scientists-never-before-seen.html#jCp

The summary does not use the word mass, but it says :

Working with colleagues at the Harvard-MIT Center for Ultracold Atoms, a group led by Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin and MIT Professor of Physics Vladan Vuletic have managed to coax photons into binding together to form molecules – a state of matter that, until recently, had been purely theoretical. The work is described in a September 25 paper in Nature.

7. Sep 27, 2015 #6
    Light does not have intrinsic or rest mass. It has an equivalent mass due to its energy.

8. Sep 28, 2015 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

Light in vacuo does not have mass. However, photon-like quasi-particles in matter can well have a non-zero effective mass.

9. Sep 28, 2015 #8
  10. Sep 28, 2015 #9

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Sep 28, 2015 #10
    Ok, thnak you very much

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook