Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Could Somebody help me please? EMF in parallel

1. May 13, 2004 #1
    Ok, the question says: "Find the magnitudes and directions of the current through the 22 ohm and 15 ohm resistors (the internal resistance of the batteries is negligible)"

My question is how do i determine this if there's a second emf in the problem?

here's a picture of the problem:
    picture

i tried using Kirchoff's loop law at first, first determining these two formulas:
    0=E1-I1R1-I2R2
    =9.0 - 22I1 - 15I2
    I1 = .41 - .68I2

and

0=E2 - I2R2
    = 6-15I2
    I2 =.40

The problem is the second equation doesn't incorporate I3, so i cant use I3 = I2 + I1, so I'm stuck here.
    Then I thought about using Ohm's law, but I am not sure how do i use E1 in terms of the parallel circuit to determine the total current going through the whole circuit. Please help me someone :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2
    by the way, the directions for I1, I2, and I3 in the picture are my predictions on the current flow throughout the circuit

4. May 13, 2004 #3
    bump, please help me =(

5. May 13, 2004 #4

Janitor

Science Advisor

I'm no electrical engineer, but...

It seems to me that given your choices for current flow (and I am presuming you are using conventional current, which imagines that a positive charge is what is flowing), your first equation has a bogus sign and should be:

0=E1-I1R1+I2R2.

Does it help to write another equation based on the third path of flow? That is the one with the two batteries and R1 in it:

E1+E2=I1R1.

That would allow you to immediately solve for I1. Then You could put that value in my corrected version of your first equation and solve for I2.

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  6. May 13, 2004 #5
    so there would be no I3?

7. May 13, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

If my analysis is correct, then it gives you I1 and I2, and as you said, you can then get I3 by adding those two: I3 = I2 + I1.

8. May 13, 2004 #7
    alright, thank you so much for the help :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook