1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could someone check me on this?

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1
    OK, I have four forces in equilibrium

F1 = 50i N

e2 = -0.485i + 0.485j - 0.728k
    e3 = -0.557i + 0.743j + 0.371k
    e4 = -0.371i - 0.743j + 0.557k

I need to find the magnitudes of F2,F3,and F4

I got F2 = 373.67 N (this might be a + or -, not sure, thinking +)
    F3 = 346.43 N
    F4 = 102.44 N

I used the equilibrium in each direction (x,y,z) and then I had three equations with three unknowns.

If someone could confirm that or tell me where I messed up, that would be great. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's very tedious work to do manually. Hopefully for you, someone will check it using a math program. I suggest you get one of those and learn how to use it. Very usefull to check answers like this one.
  4. Sep 1, 2005 #3
    I have Mathematica, but I don't know how I would check it on there. Any thoughts?
  5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

If the body is in equilibrium under the action of no. of forces, then sum of their components in x,y and z direction separately is zero.

If the force is given in the form
    F = Fx i + Fy j +Fz k then it means the Fx , Fy, Fz are components in the corresponding direction and the magnitude is given by sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2)
    need not to solve the equations if the values are given.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  6. Sep 1, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He doesn't know the magnitude of F_2, F_3 and F_4. He known everything about F_1 and only the direction for the other 3. The directions are given by the unit vectors e_i.
  7. Sep 1, 2005 #6
    I solved the problem, I had a bunch of sign errors, but I fixed them.

I used matlab to check it, but that was wrong. No worries, I am just saying.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?