1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could someone explain

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    Hey could someone explain to me this problem because i tried every single variation of the rules i learned in class, v = delta d/ delta t a= delta v/ delta t ect.. and i kept getting the wrong answer.

A parachustist jumps from an airplane and freely falls y=53.2 m before opening his parachute. Thereafter, he decelerates at a=2.00 m/s2. As he reaches the ground, his speed is 3.23 m/s. How long was the parachutist in the air?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

First step - free fall - requires you to find time needed to cover distance while accelerating at g. Second step - slowing down - requires you to find time necessary to slow down from the final speed of free fall (you will have to calculate it from time and g) to the landing speed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook