Could someone give me an idea for a proof of this

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Proof
In summary, the function f(x) is defined as 0 for x = 1/n for some natural number n, and 1 for all other values of x. It has been proven that this function is integrable on the interval [0,1] with an integral value of 1. The set of inverse naturals (1/n) is countable, while the set of irrationals is uncountable. This function has a finite number of discontinuities, and this can be proven using the Robustness of the Reimann Integral.
stunner5000pt
Let f ( x ) = {0, if x = 1/n for some natural number n
or 1, otherwise

Note: Natural number would refer to the set of positive integers Z+ that is 1,2,3,...

Prove that this function is integrable on [0,1] and it's integral is 1

Certainly there are an infinite number of dicontinuities and nearly all of the function lies in the domain of [0,1]. But is the set of Inverse Naturals (1/n) (postive integers) bigger than the set of irrationals?

Someone recommended using the Robustness of the Reimann Integral

Let g and f be two functions defined on [a,b], and suppose
that the set of numbers in [a,b] at which the functions do not
take the same value (at which they "differ") is finite.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you prove it's integrable over [a, 1] for some positive a?

What definitions are you using? You should have no problem showing that the upper and lower sum converge.

how

Hurkyl said:
Can you prove it's integrable over [a, 1] for some positive a?

what do you mean? AS for the upper and lower sums - so then

U(f,P) = Sum i =1 to infinity 1 = infinity

and L (f,P) = 0

they don't seem to converge...?

stunner5000pt said:
what do you mean? AS for the upper and lower sums - so then

U(f,P) = Sum i =1 to infinity 1 = infinity

and L (f,P) = 0

they don't seem to converge...?

Oh, dear. I don't want to hurt your feelings but you are way, way off.
For one thing, your integral is from x= 0 to x= 1 so the sum is NOT from 1 to infinity. The sum in U(f,P) is over the intervals in the partion- for any finite partition, it is a finite sum. Also the summand is not 1:it is 1 times the length of the interval in the partition. U(f,P) is NOT infinity.

Also, L(f,P) is not 0. Since f(x) is 1 for all x except 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc. it clearly is equal to 1 for all x> 1/2: L(f,P) will be 1(1/2)+ something.

Oh, by the way:
"But is the set of Inverse Naturals (1/n) (postive integers) bigger than the set of irrationals?"

Not even close: there is an obvious one-to-one correspondence between the naturals and "inverse naturals" (n<-> 1/n) so the set {1/n} is countable.

so how can i prove taht the set of naturals is countable or finite, thus proving that the function has a finite number of discontinuities?

is there a theorem ??

1. What is the purpose of a proof in science?

A proof in science serves as evidence or validation for a hypothesis or theory. It helps to demonstrate that a certain claim or statement is true and can be replicated by others.

2. How can someone come up with an idea for a proof?

Ideas for proofs can come from a variety of sources, such as previous research, observations, or logical reasoning. It is important to thoroughly understand the topic and gather relevant information before attempting to come up with a proof.

3. Is there a specific format for writing a proof?

There is no set format for writing a proof, as it can vary depending on the subject and audience. However, a proof should clearly state the hypothesis, provide evidence or reasoning, and conclude with a logical explanation of how the evidence supports the hypothesis.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a proof include assuming the conclusion, using circular reasoning, and not providing enough evidence or reasoning to support the hypothesis. It is also important to clearly define any variables or terms used in the proof.

5. Can someone else's proof be used as evidence in my own research?

Yes, as long as the proof is relevant and reliable. When using someone else's proof, it is important to properly cite the source and ensure that it aligns with your own research and hypothesis.