Calculating Impact Speed: 100 Meter Fall with and without Air Resistance

• Thread starter honeydukes
  • Start date
In summary, the person would fall at a maximum speed of approximately 44 m/s without air resistance, and less than 40 m/s with air resistance.
honeydukes
Hello!

I am doing a project with a few other people. It is sort of a mock trial. None of us are physics wiz's. We need to know the speed a body would impact the ground from a fall of 100 meters. We figured out that it would be 99 miles per hour/44 meters per second WITHOUT air resistance. But we need to know what it would be WITH air resistance. The person is about 5'10 and weighs about 150lbs/68kg. Your help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
honeydukes said:
Hello!

I am doing a project with a few other people. It is sort of a mock trial. None of us are physics wiz's. We need to know the speed a body would impact the ground from a fall of 100 meters. We figured out that it would be 99 miles per hour/44 meters per second WITHOUT air resistance. But we need to know what it would be WITH air resistance. The person is about 5'10 and weighs about 150lbs/68kg. Your help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You'll need to add a drag term to your force balance equation. IIRC from my undergraduate mechanics, there can be a viscous drag, which is proportional to the velocity, or a quadratic drag, which is proportional to the square of the velocity. I think that above a few meters per second, the quadratic drag term is used in a typical approximate calculation. So, the drag force should be [tex] f = -cv^2 [/tex]. You can approximate the drag coefficient with something like [tex] c= \frac{1}{2} C_D S\rho [/tex]. [tex]C_D[/tex] is a dimensionless term related to the geometry of the falling object, S is the cross-sectional area of the falling obect and [tex]\rho[/tex] is the density of air.

As suggested by Geoff's post, the cross-sectional area is important here. This is the surface area that "meets" the oncoming wind and it will be very different for the position that the person takes. In the "pencil" position (straight up and down), a 68 kg person is not going to have experienced much significant air resistance (this is a 4.5 second fall, you know). My estimate has a maximum of 18 N and a minimum of 2 N of air resistance, so let's say 10 N of air resistance. This would make the acceleration atthe bottom about 9.6 m/s^2. The average acceleration would then be 9.7 m/s^2 (this is dirty estimation, please understand) so the maximum speed would be about 44.0 m/s instead of 44.3 m/s.

You'd really need to bring out calculus to do a better estimation if the person falls in a spread eagle position.

A quick estimate of a spread eagle fall still gets a maximum speed of no LESS than 40 m/s. This was found by overestimating just about every factor. I haven't worked in fluid dynamics for a while, so if anyone has a smaller maximum speed, I'd like to know what I missed.

Last edited:

1. What does "help me out" mean?

"Help me out" is a phrase used to ask for assistance or support in a particular situation or task. It implies that the person is in need of help and is looking for someone to provide it.

2. Can you explain why I might need help?

There can be many reasons why someone might need help. It could be because they are struggling with a problem or task, they do not have enough knowledge or resources to complete something, or they simply need another perspective or set of skills to accomplish a task.

3. How can someone help me out?

Someone can help you out by providing guidance, advice, resources, or physical assistance. They can also offer their expertise or share their knowledge to help you solve a problem or complete a task.

4. Is it okay to ask for help?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help. In fact, it is often encouraged in the scientific community as collaboration and teamwork can lead to more efficient and effective solutions. Asking for help does not make you weak or incapable, it is a sign of strength and a willingness to learn and improve.

5. What are the benefits of asking for help?

Asking for help can have many benefits, such as gaining new perspectives and ideas, learning new skills, building relationships, and achieving goals more quickly. It can also help reduce stress and prevent burnout by sharing the workload and receiving support from others.