Could someone help me with cylindrical and rectangular conversions?

In summary, the conversation is about converting a cylindrical equation into a rectangular equation. The participants discuss using trigonometric identities to make the conversion and ultimately come to the solution of z^2 = 2sin(2theta)/cos(2theta).
FabioTTT
I have the following cylindrical equation:

z = r^2 cos(2theta)

I am suppose to convert it into a rectangular equation. I'm stumped.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
would i be correct to assume the trig property that cos(2theta) = cos^2 theta - sin^2 theta ?

then i'd end up with

r^2 cos^2 theta - r^2 sin^2 theta = z

then substitute x^2 and y^2 to get z = x^2 - y^2 ?

no if someone could help me convert this rectangular equation to cylindirical i'd be eternally greatful:

z^2 (x^2 - y^2) = 4xy

You seem to be doing well enough on your own:

you know what x^2-y^2 is from the previous example.

What other trig identities do you know? say, sin(2theta)?

Originally posted by matt grime
You seem to be doing well enough on your own:

you know what x^2-y^2 is from the previous example.

What other trig identities do you know? say, sin(2theta)?

yeah i realized i could use cos(2theta) from the previous problem but I am still stuck since i still have the 4xy on the other side of the equation :(

Hope this doesn't appear too RTFM, but you have formulae:
x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)

so use them as you did in the previous question.

i know what youre hinting at that i could divide both sides of the equation by 2 and then sub x and y for r cos(theta) and r sin(theta) and then cancel the r^2 on both sides and have sin(2theta) left.. but that would leave me with

(z^2 cos(2theta)) / 2 = sin(2theta) is that correct though? doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
(z^2) / 2 = tan(2theta)

if sin(2theta) / cos(2theta) = tan(2theta) is valid... is it?

Last edited:
im an idiot.. of course its valid.. its just an angle. thanks guys. i guess this thread was pretty pointless ;)

Since I am not particularly bright and have great difficulty remembering trig identities, I would probably change
z^2 (x^2 - y^2) = 4xy into polar coordinates in the obvious way:

Since x= r sinθ and y= r cosθ, x^2= r^2 sin^2θ, y^2= r^2 cos^2θ so x^2- y^2= r^2(cos^2θ- sin^2θ), and 4xy= 4r^2 cosθ sinθ. Now the "r^2" terms cancel leaving z^2(cos^2θ-sin^2θ)= 4sinθcosθ or

z^2= (4sinθcosθ)/(cos^2θ- sin^2θ).

Now IF I were smart I might remember (or look up!) both
"cos(2θ)= cos^2θ- sin^2θ" and
"sin(2θ)= 2sinθcosθ to write that equation as

z^2= 2sin(2θ)/cos(2θ)

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Since I am not particularly bright and have great difficulty remembering trig identities, I would probably change
z^2 (x^2 - y^2) = 4xy into polar coordinates in the obvious way:

Since x= r sinθ and y= r cosθ, x^2= r^2 sin^2θ, y^2= r^2 cos^2θ so x^2- y^2= r^2(cos^2θ- sin^2θ), and 4xy= 4r^2 cosθ sinθ. Now the "r^2" terms cancel leaving z^2(cos^2θ-sin^2θ)= 4sinθcosθ or

z^2= (4sinθcosθ)/(cos^2θ- sin^2θ).

Now IF I were smart I might remember (or look up!) both
"cos(2θ)= cos^2θ- sin^2θ" and
"sin(2θ)= 2sinθcosθ to write that equation as

z^2= 2sin(2θ)/cos(2θ)

yep that's what i got. thanks

1. What is the formula for converting from cylindrical to rectangular coordinates?

The formula for converting from cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) to rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) is:
x = rcosθ
y = rsinθ
z = z

2. How do I convert a point from cylindrical to rectangular coordinates?

To convert a point from cylindrical to rectangular coordinates, plug the values of r, θ, and z into the formula x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, and z = z. This will give you the corresponding point in rectangular coordinates.

3. What is the difference between cylindrical and rectangular coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates use a distance, angle, and height to locate a point in 3D space, while rectangular coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates. Cylindrical coordinates are often used in applications involving circular or cylindrical objects, while rectangular coordinates are used in most other applications.

4. Can I convert from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates using the formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
z = z

5. Are there any limitations to converting between cylindrical and rectangular coordinates?

There are no limitations to converting between cylindrical and rectangular coordinates as long as the appropriate formulas are used and the values are within the appropriate ranges. However, it is important to note that converting between the two coordinate systems may result in a loss of precision in some cases.