1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could someone help me with this asympote question?

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    Determine an equation for the asymptote of the graph of y = 2^(x+3) + 4

I'm not suppose to use a calculator for this question, I tried taking the log of both sides but it required a calculator usage. Anyone know how to do this question by hand? The answer's -4 by the way

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An asymptote is a line. -4 isn't a line. It's a number. If your answer key says the asymptote is -4, it could use some work. Do you know what an asymptote is?

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    I meant the answer is y = -4. And is an asymptote not a point where the function cannot go through, it can get very near but never touch that point.

5. Jan 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2^(3+x) is positive. 4 is positive. The sum is positive. That can't get anywhere near y=(-4). Do you mean y=(+4)? That would be an asymptote as x->-infinity. Or do you mean y = 2^(x+3) - 4?

6. Jan 21, 2009 #5
    Oh I'm sorry, you are right the answer is 4, I confused the answer I got which was -4 with the real answer. Yeah what I don't get is why it is 4, I got -4. It's a multiple choice question:

A. y = 4
    B. x = 3
    C. x = -3
    D. y = -4

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  7. Jan 21, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then how did you get -4?

8. Jan 21, 2009 #7
    I changed the equation into log form.

y = 2^(x+3) + 4
    log2y = (x+3)+4

So does that not mean that y can't equal negative 4 since logs can't have a negative?

9. Jan 21, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making some pretty bad log mistakes there. Don't take it to logs, just work with what you have.

10. Jan 21, 2009 #9
    Could you explain to me how you got the answer? I'm sure this question will come up again on my final.

11. Jan 21, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function doesn't have any values of x where it goes to infinity in y. So the only possible asymptotes are as x->infinity or x->-infinity. As x->-infinity 2^(x+3)->0. So y->4. That's an asymptote.

12. Jan 21, 2009 #11
    Alright, thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?