Could someone me get my mind around this paradox

In summary, the conversation discusses the apparent paradox of two electrons moving parallel to each other at the same speed, but being attracted to each other when observed from a stationary frame and repelled from each other when observed from a moving frame. The summary explains that this is due to the electric and magnetic fields being different in each frame and the need to take time dilation into account to balance the equations.
aceofspades
Okay... I am pretty sure this isn't a paradox, so my
reasoning must be flawed somewhere.

Could someone tell me where I am going wrong?

Consider 2 electrons, traveling in straight lines,
parallel to each other, at the same speed v, in
the same direction. An observer in a stationary
reference frame will see them each produce a magnetic
field, and so will notice them being drawn towards
each other.
(Analagous with the force between 2 parallel current carrying wires)

Now consider the case where the observer moves
with the electrons, within their frame of reference.
To him, the electrons will appear stationary, and so
he will only see an electric field between them.
If this was the case, he should see the electrons being
repelled from each other.

Obviously the physics must be the same, irrespective of the
frame of reference, so where have I gone wrong?

Thanks a lot! :tongue:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~rfield/PHY2061/images/relativity_15.pdf

and

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~rfield/PHY2061/images/relativity_14.pdf

The electric field of a moving charged particle is definitely not spherically symmetric, it's given by the formula in the second URL above. (It turns out that the E-field of a moving charge does always point radially outwards, only the scale factor changes with angle).

Thus the observer watching the static particles sees them repelling each other. The observer watching the moving particles sees them repelling each other more strongly than the first observer, but also sees an additional attractive magnetic force that first observer does not see.

I believe one also has to take time dilation into account as well (or use 4-forces, which are invariant for all observers) to make the equations balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
pervect said:
I believe one also has to take time dilation into account as well (or use 4-forces, which are invariant for all observers) to make the equations balance.
Indeed one does. The discussion of this problem appears in most undergraduate level books on E&M (i.e. Griffiths or Jackson)

aceofspades - The charged particles will repell one another in all frames - the electric force and the magnetic force are only equal when the two electrons are moving at velocity c relative to the frame in which they are observed - but since they cannot move at the velocity of light, the electric force will always predominate.

1. What is a paradox?

A paradox is a statement, situation, or concept that seems to contradict itself but may actually be true or have a logical explanation. It is often used to challenge traditional ways of thinking and can be found in various fields such as philosophy, mathematics, and science.

2. How do paradoxes arise?

Paradoxes can arise when a statement or situation contains conflicting elements that cannot be reconciled. They may also arise from assumptions or premises that are not necessarily true or when there is a gap in our understanding of a concept or phenomenon.

3. Can a paradox be resolved?

Yes, a paradox can be resolved by carefully examining the conflicting elements and finding a logical explanation that reconciles them. This may involve challenging our assumptions and thinking outside the box to find a solution that may not be immediately apparent.

4. Are all paradoxes the same?

No, there are different types of paradoxes, such as logical paradoxes, mathematical paradoxes, and semantic paradoxes. Each type has its own unique characteristics and may require different approaches to resolve.

5. Why are paradoxes important in science?

Paradoxes can be useful in science as they can help expose flaws in our thinking and lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs. They also challenge us to think critically and creatively, which is essential for scientific progress.