1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could someone please help me? I would REALLY appreciate anything

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    Could someone please help me? I would REALLY appreciate anything....

A person, sunbathing on a warm day, is lying horizontally on the deck of a boat. Her mass is 54.3 kg, and the coefficient of static friction between the deck and her is 0.708. Assume that she is moving horizontally, and that the static frictional force is the only force acting on her in this direction. (a) What is the magnitude of the static frictional force when the boat moves with a constant velocity of +6.22 m/s? (b) The boat speeds up with an acceleration of 1.78 m/s2, and she does not slip with respect to the deck. What is the magnitude of the static frictional force that acts on her? (c) What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration the boat can have before she begins to slip relative to the deck?

THANK YOU!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    Re: Could someone please help me? I would REALLY appreciate anything....

Friction force is equal to (Normal Force)*(Coeff of friction). Or rather that is the maximum friction force. The friction force will be equal to an opposing force until it gets to the maximum, then she will slide. The normal force is equal to the gravity force, since there seems to be no other forces pressing her down or up. When the boat accelerates, the only way she accelerates is from the friction of the boat to her.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?