Could this be possible? water underground

• Thread starter Enox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of using suction to lift water from underground. The participants discuss the limitations of using atmospheric pressure, which is limited to about 10m, and the potential for using a pump at the bottom of the well. They also consider the idea of using the pressure in a water tank to suction water from underground, but conclude that this would not be possible due to the laws of physics. The conversation also touches on the pressure at the water table and the limitations of using vacuum to lift water. Overall, the participants discuss the feasibility of using suction to lift water and the various factors that need to be considered.
Enox
Good day everyone, i need your help if you could please give me your opinion.

I have some question, if the tube being suctioned could it lift the water underground?

Could it able to sustain the flow of water in the tube, by just its own pull continuously?

I know it sound crazy you, do you think this is possible? TIA

Attachments

• PUMP.jpg
    PUMP.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
Enox said:
Good day everyone, i need your help if you could please give me your opinion.

I have some question, if the tube being suctioned could it lift the water underground?

Could it able to sustain the flow of water in the tube, by just its own pull continuously?

I know it sound crazy you, do you think this is possible? TIA
This is the principle utilised by bore wells all over the world. Nothing crazy about it.

Note though that the suction head is limited to about 10m by air pressure (minimum vacuum). Larger wells need the pump at the bottom.

russ_watters said:
Note though that the suction head is limited to about 10m by air pressure (minimum vacuum). Larger wells need the pump at the bottom.
Russ i thought about this too but I'm not sure if the atmospheric pressure is directly or continuously acting on the water table. Maybe it would be much less than 10m head. Any insights?

I would think it is more. Certainly the pressure in the Earth is higher than the pressure in the atmosphere.

Khashishi said:
I would think it is more. Certainly the pressure in the Earth is higher than the pressure in the atmosphere.
That pressure has already been utilised when the well has filled up naturally to a certain height. It's about the additional pump required to pump it from that free surface depth.

You are both potentially correct. It depends on the geology if the water is under additional pressure or not. That's what happens with springs and artesian wells, not to mention oil gushers.

But for the typical open-above well, with a pipe that does not seal the well sides, the height is referenced from the water level and the head referenced to atmopheric.

thanks again

any suggestion guys? if this 10 m air space in tank, could vacuum the water from under ground, if i let open the valve? could it carry water from the ground up to the water tank? since the water in the tank has pressure to suction the water under ground. correct me if am wrong :) :) :)

TIA :)
Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 10.59.35 PM.png

10 m is about the maximum. It would require vacuum in the tank instead of atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:
The 10 m limit comes because the water at the bottom will begin to boil if the absolute pressure approaches 0 PSIA.

Likes Chestermiller
Enox said:
if this 10 m air space in tank, could vacuum the water from under ground, if i let open the valve? could it carry water from the ground up to the water tank? since the water in the tank has pressure to suction the water under ground.
No. What you're proposing would be a perpetual motion machine. Look at the pressures in the tank and the riser from the ground and convince yourself that it is not possible.

anorlunda said:
The 10 m limit comes because the water at the bottom will begin to boil if the absolute pressure approaches 0 PSIA.
Yes. The pressure at the water table, of course, is 1 atm.

Chet

10m is the theoretical limit at 1atm. Practically vapour locking will cause a loss of suction much earlier. Think maybe 7m in reality.
Though I'm getting the suspicion you are after a perpetual motion machine.

Likes russ_watters

1. Can water really exist underground?

Yes, water can exist underground in the form of groundwater or aquifers. These are natural underground reservoirs of water that can be accessed through wells or springs.

2. How does water get underground?

Water can get underground through a process called infiltration. This is when precipitation, such as rain or snow, seeps into the ground and travels through porous materials like soil and rocks until it reaches an impermeable layer.

3. Is it safe to drink water from underground sources?

In most cases, water from underground sources can be safe to drink. However, it is important to test the water for any potential contaminants before consuming it. Groundwater can be affected by pollution from human activities, so it is important to monitor and protect these sources.

4. What are the benefits of having water underground?

Having water underground provides many benefits, including a natural source of water for plants and animals, a source of drinking water for humans, and a way to replenish rivers and lakes during dry periods. It also helps to maintain a balance in the Earth's ecosystems.

5. Can water underground run out?

Yes, water underground can run out if it is not replenished through precipitation or other means. Overconsumption or contamination of groundwater can also deplete these sources. It is important to manage and conserve underground water resources to ensure their sustainability.