Apply to US Universities: Student from China Preparing for GRE

• Thread starter bluechina
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a student from China who wants to study in America after graduation. They are currently preparing for the GRE because they did not do well on their college entrance examination and were admitted to a less prestigious university. They are seeking advice on which universities they should apply to, and the other person suggests applying to schools other than Ivy League ones. The speaker's father did well on the GRE but still did not attend a famous university, and the speaker is determined to do their best.
bluechina
i am a student from China , and i want to study in america when i am graduated .now i am preparing for GRE. because i did bad in the college enterance examination , so i was admitted by a not famous university , so
which universities could i apply ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should still apply to schools, perhaps not Ivy League schools, but I would think most other schools will at least consider you.

My father did pretty well on his GRE but he still didn't go to a famous university. He pretty much studied nonstop all the time. Most people are happy just getting into the US. I hope you do well.:smile:

thanks for you two
i will do my best

1. How do I prepare for the GRE as a student from China?

As a student from China, it is important to familiarize yourself with the structure and format of the GRE. Utilize study materials such as practice tests, review books, and online resources to prepare for the exam. Consider joining a study group or seeking guidance from a tutor to help you improve your skills. Additionally, make sure to allocate enough time for studying and practice regularly.

2. What is the minimum GRE score required for admission to US universities?

The minimum GRE score required for admission to US universities varies depending on the school and program you are applying to. Generally, a competitive score falls within the 315-320 range for the verbal and quantitative sections, and a 4.0-4.5 for the analytical writing section. However, it is important to research the specific requirements of the universities you are interested in to determine the minimum score needed for your desired program.

3. Are there any specific strategies for Chinese students to improve their GRE scores?

One strategy for Chinese students to improve their GRE scores is to focus on vocabulary and reading comprehension. Since the GRE is administered in English, it is important to have a strong grasp on the language. Practice reading and understanding complex passages, and learn vocabulary words commonly found on the GRE. Additionally, familiarize yourself with the exam format and practice answering questions under timed conditions.

4. Are there any resources or support for Chinese students applying to US universities?

Yes, there are many resources and support available for Chinese students applying to US universities. Many universities have specific programs and resources for international students, including support for the GRE. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where students can connect with others who are also preparing for the GRE and applying to US universities. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from education consultants who specialize in helping Chinese students with the application process.

5. How should I prioritize my time when preparing for the GRE as a Chinese student?

When preparing for the GRE, it is important to manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, allocating more time to areas where you need improvement. Practice regularly and take practice tests to track your progress. It may also be helpful to prioritize studying for the section of the GRE that you struggle with the most. Additionally, make sure to also budget time for other aspects of the application process, such as writing personal statements and gathering letters of recommendation.