1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could use some help on this e&m question

1. Sep 4, 2005 #1
    Hi, I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while now and I could use some help. The problem reads "An electron and proton attract each other with a [tex]1/r^2[/tex] electric force, just like the gravitational force. Suppose that an electron moves in a circular orbit about a proton. If the period of motion is 24 hours, what is the radius of the orbit?"

My train of thought so far has been that I would need to equate the [tex]1/r^2[/tex] to the equation for centripetal force [tex]F=mv^2/r[/tex], and solve that for r. I also know that the period comes into play, so I'm guessing that [tex]T=2\Pi r/v[/tex] would also be used somehow. However, I can't figure out how I would solve for the velocity just by plugging in the period to that equation, since they don't give us the value for the radius, and I need the value of the velocity to solve for the radius in the force equation. Am I on the right track or totally off?
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The electron and proton attract each other with a force that is propotional to [tex]1/r^2[/tex]. The actual force of attraction is given by coloumb's law.

You are on the right track by equating [tex] mv^2/r [/tex] and the force of attraction between the proton and electron.

Also, you do use [tex] T=2 \pi/w [/tex]. Use the fact that for a revolution of [tex] 2 \pi [/tex] radians, it takes 24*3600 seconds. So what is the angular velocity in radians per second? You should get the answer from this.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?