Could use some help on this e&m question

• Thread starter blur13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m
In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of a circular orbit of an electron around a proton, given a period of 24 hours. Using centripetal force and Coulomb's law, the equation mv^2/r is equated to the force of attraction between the particles. The value of the angular velocity can be solved for using the fact that 2π radians takes 24*3600 seconds, and from there the radius can be calculated using the formula T=2πr/v.
blur13
Hi, I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while now and I could use some help. The problem reads "An electron and proton attract each other with a [tex]1/r^2[/tex] electric force, just like the gravitational force. Suppose that an electron moves in a circular orbit about a proton. If the period of motion is 24 hours, what is the radius of the orbit?"

My train of thought so far has been that I would need to equate the [tex]1/r^2[/tex] to the equation for centripetal force [tex]F=mv^2/r[/tex], and solve that for r. I also know that the period comes into play, so I'm guessing that [tex]T=2\Pi r/v[/tex] would also be used somehow. However, I can't figure out how I would solve for the velocity just by plugging in the period to that equation, since they don't give us the value for the radius, and I need the value of the velocity to solve for the radius in the force equation. Am I on the right track or totally off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electron and proton attract each other with a force that is propotional to [tex]1/r^2[/tex]. The actual force of attraction is given by coloumb's law.

You are on the right track by equating [tex] mv^2/r [/tex] and the force of attraction between the proton and electron.

Also, you do use [tex] T=2 \pi/w [/tex]. Use the fact that for a revolution of [tex] 2 \pi [/tex] radians, it takes 24*3600 seconds. So what is the angular velocity in radians per second? You should get the answer from this.

Last edited:

Hello there! It seems like you are on the right track with your thinking. Let's break down the problem and see if we can come up with a solution together.

First, we know that the electron and proton are attracted to each other with a 1/r^2 electric force, just like the gravitational force. This means that the force between them is directly proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance between them.

Next, we are given that the electron is moving in a circular orbit around the proton, and we are asked to find the radius of this orbit. We can use the equation for centripetal force, F=mv^2/r, to help us solve this problem.

To start, let's set up the equation for the electric force between the two particles: F = kQq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the proton, and q is the charge of the electron.

Now, we can equate this to the equation for centripetal force and solve for r:

kQq/r^2 = mv^2/r

r^3 = kQq/mv^2

r = (kQq/mv^2)^1/3

Next, we need to bring in the period of motion, which is given to us as 24 hours. We can use the equation T=2πr/v to find the velocity of the electron:

24 hours = 2πr/v

v = 2πr/24 hours

Now, we can substitute this value for v into our equation for r:

r = (kQq/m(2πr/24 hours)^2)^1/3

Solving for r, we get:

r = (kQq/4π^2m)^1/3 * (24 hours)^2/3

Finally, all we need to do is plug in the given values for k, Q, q, and m to find the radius of the orbit.

I hope this helps you with your problem! Remember to always carefully analyze the given information and use the appropriate equations to solve the problem. Good luck!

1. What is the question asking for?

The question is asking for assistance with a specific problem or concept related to electromagnetism.

2. What is the context or background information for the question?

The context or background for the question could vary, but it likely involves an understanding of basic principles and equations related to electromagnetism.

3. What are some common mistakes or misconceptions related to this question?

Some common mistakes or misconceptions related to this question could include not properly applying the correct equations or not understanding the underlying principles of electromagnetism.

4. How can I approach solving this question?

It is important to first understand the concepts and principles involved in the question. Then, carefully read and analyze the question to determine what information is given and what is being asked for. From there, you can apply the appropriate equations and solve the problem step by step.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help with this question?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with understanding and solving questions related to electromagnetism. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and even asking a professor or fellow student for assistance.