Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could We Predict It

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1
    Hi I was wondering, so if scientist have this idea, it's not a new one, that after the big bang the universe when in to almost like a dark age then when stars where formed they called in the star age. Anyway is it inevitable that the all the stars in the universe will either fade of became black holes. At this point could the universe actually just be receding back to a infinitely small and dense singularity. this would happen because if the universe was filled with black holes they would eventually all clump together. Is this an already accepted idea or is it new, i also could just be crazy:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2
    Hi Zepp0814! Welcome to the forum.
    Yes, that is a common idea about the fate of the universe. It is one of the many hypothesized ways the universe could end.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3
    The most widely accepted theory of the possible "end of the universe" is the Heat death, but I could be wrong here. As for the universe ending in a black hole singularity, it is referred to as the Big Crunch. For various theories regarding the end of the universe, see Ultimate fate of the universe.

5. Dec 20, 2012 #4

6. Dec 20, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Jan 24, 2013 #6
    thanks every one for the answer but i have another question. it is on a different topic. so i am hoping that all of you are familiar with the fact that a basic way of finding the distance between two points in 3d space is a^2+b^2+z^2=c^2. anyway i wanted to know in the equation ds^s=dx^2+dz^2+dy^2-(cdt)^2 does this show the distance between two points in in 3-d space including 1 time Dimension or does it show something different.

8. Jan 24, 2013 #7
    It shows the spacetime interval between two points. So ya it's the distance (squared) between two points in 3D space minus the time interval (squared) times the speed of light.
    Edit: I forgot to mention that the d's in the equation mean that the lengths are infinitesimal. Infinitesimal lengths are easier to work with because you can use them to derive the metric. [tex]g_{mn}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook