Explaining Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the speaker in the TED video explains how the angle of incidence of the sun's rays affects the amount of energy received on Earth. In the winter, when the sun is at a lower angle, the energy received is smaller compared to the summer when the sun is directly overhead. This is due to the dot product of the sun's rays and the Earth's surface area vector. The speaker also suggests posting the video in the TED thread instead of creating a separate thread.
WiFO215
After the link to TED was posted a few threads below, I began to browse through the videos and I found this one which I liked a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hJCxSiH4ts&feature=channel_page

I got questions 1 and 2 right. But the 3rd and 4th questions wrong and along the lines of the misconceptions he was referring to. I understood 4 myself but his explanation for 3 was a bit brief and I'm not sure I got it. Could someone explain the answer to Q3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just put this video in the TED thread?

It is the angle of incidence that make the difference. As the sun gets lower in the sky, the angle of incidence is smaller, so the total energy received is smaller than in the summer when the sun is nearly directly overhead. Note that in the arctic, in the winter, the most extreme example of winter, the suns rays are striking the Earth at almost glancing angles.

The total energy received over a fixed interval goes as the dot product of the vector representing the sun's rays, and the area vector of the Earth's surface, at any point.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Why don't you just put this video in the TED thread?

Alright. I shall do that.

EDIT: I have done so. The mods can delete this thread now.

What is Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters?

Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters is a statistical measure used to analyze the length of titles for TED Talks. It represents the average number of characters in the third quarter of the title length, which is often considered the most important part of a title.

Why is Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters important?

Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters is important because it helps researchers and speakers understand the optimal length for a TED Talk title. It can also provide insights into the effectiveness of a title in attracting viewers.

How is Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters calculated?

To calculate Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters, the title length of all TED Talks is measured in characters, and then the third quarter of those lengths is determined. This is done by dividing the total number of characters by four and finding the length at 75% of that number.

What is the average Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters for TED Talks?

The average Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters for TED Talks is around 22 characters. However, this can vary depending on the topic and type of talk.

How can Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters be used in research?

Researchers can use Q3 After TED Link: 65 Characters to analyze the effectiveness of titles in attracting viewers and to understand the impact of title length on the popularity of a TED Talk.