Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could you fix it?

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Lift the bonnet on a modern car and you see a nightmare tangle of pipes and wires, so if your car will not start would you know how to fix it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    I'd be pleased if I could get the bonnet open to be frank. I know less than nothing about cars. The only reason I know how the internal combustion engine works, is because I studied it in physics at school. I don't own a car, have never owned a car, and don't see myself owning one in the near future, unless a job requires it.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So many of the systems on modern cars are run by imbedded computers, there's no way I would even try.

I grew up with seven brothers, all but two of them were very good with auto mechanics. I learned from them how to do simple things. I wasn't too bad at it, but if the car's newer than, oh, 1966, forget about it!

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4
    I think some cars are smarter than the people that drive them these days. :wink:

They had one that drove round a circuit beating all the drivers on Top Gear, except the tame pro driver, without a driver, By itself!

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Otto cycle! I loved learning that!

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6
    My 95 S-10 yes after I go over to my friends house and borrow his OBD scanner. As for my 07 Prius I can cheek the fluid levels and that is the extent that I'm willing to do on that car.

8. Mar 27, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need a laptop and an automotive scanning tool.

9. Mar 27, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I used to be able to fix a whole lot of stuff on cars, until they got loaded with sensors, computers, etc. Rebuild/rejet carbs, etc, etc. Now I'm pretty much limited to troubleshooting simple electrical problems with my multimeter, changing fluids, changing air/oil/fuel filters, replacing belts and hoses and similar stuff.

10. Mar 27, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

So how much of this stuff is making the car better than say a car with carb and points, if each of those pipes and wires increased fuel efficiency i would expect 100mpg.

11. Mar 27, 2008 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There's nothing that a good hammer can't fix. :biggrin: Muahahahaaaa!!!!111

12. Mar 27, 2008 #11
    I think you'd have to totally redesign the engine to something else to get above 60mpg with petrol, any inventors out there? As far as I understand it, which isn't much admittedly, these days most of the technology is not for increasing MPG necessarily, in fact things like air conditioning decrease it a great deal. Hybrids do better though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  13. Mar 27, 2008 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Blue motion VW polo diesel gets 70 mpg.

14. Mar 27, 2008 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would work on early fuel injection systems, except for the computer. I had a timing light and I used to time the engine to optimize fuel efficiency. I've worked on my Honda's where I've had to change out components like wires, plugs, distributor, alternator, cooling pump (Prelude - that was a nightmare because the part of the pump sites behind the timing belt cowling :rolleyes:), brakes (cylinders and pads), . . . .

I used to help my dad when he worked on cars (Triumph, Pontiac Lemans, Volkwagens (bug and vans), lawnmowers, and stuff.

15. Mar 27, 2008 #14
    Really, I did change that to petrol, to be clear. But that is still pretty impressive. :bugeye:

Mind you ~60mpg with a petrol car is pretty amazing too. I checked and it's the Ford Ka that does that. Only 1.3 litre though, I can't see a lot of people driving it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  16. Mar 27, 2008 #15

It's called a Chilton's manual.

17. Mar 27, 2008 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of mileage do the red ones get :tongue2: ?

18. Mar 27, 2008 #17
    I see but to most people I would think it would be effectively written in Chinese, excepting of course Chinese people then it'd be Greek.

19. Mar 27, 2008 #18
    The most efficient car in the pipeline is a diesel hybrid.Several companies work on that Opel / Vauxhall has an Astra with that configuration doing 59 mpg. Peugeot with a 308 model. but my Peugeot 207 1.6 HDi is hardly any less than that (52 mpg) if I dont insist on driving faster than 80 mph. If I drive a steady 55 mph it's about 78 mpg, that would be pretty much approaching the minimum limit. You can conserve energy by electric breaking and by running the combustion engine on most efficient rpm, having the electric engine doing the variation but there is nothing you can do about the loss due to drag. For 100mpg you'd need something different.

20. Mar 27, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

There was an old joke about JC Whitney because they sold LOTS of parts that claimed to dramatically improve your gas mileage. It went something like "I'm getting such better mileage that now I have to stop every 50 miles or so to drain the fuel tank."

21. Mar 27, 2008 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Our previous car was a 1993 Volvo 240. I did a few basic repairs myself on it, even then I would think "jeez, things are so tightly packed in here."

Well now our family car is a Toyota Sienna. I looked under the hood (bonnet) and, WOW. I could not fit a credit card between the engine block and the air compressor! I was quite impressed how neatly things were packed together. So far I have been able to change an air filter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?